Senior Gift Breaks Records

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

“I’ve never been so happy about a 74 in my life,” says Sarah Mehrotra ‘14. She’s not referring to an Organic Chemistry test grade: as a Senior Gift Co-Chair, she has spent the last week checking up on senior class participation for the Senior Gift. Luckily, she has nothing to worry about- her work, along with with fellow co-chairs Jimmy Nguyen ’14 and Kara Shannon ‘14, has helped participation levels surpass all goals and expectations this semester. After a widely successful pub night, the senior class is finishing off the fall semester with a record-breaking 74% percent class participation.

Since 1982, the senior gift program has provided an opportunity for seniors to leave their legacy on the Hill. In September, the class of 2014 voted their Senior Gift to be a terrace outside of Hamilton’s Office of Admission. As Kara explains, “the terrace is important, as it is a monument that commemorates Hamilton’s re-establishment of its need-blind admission policy.  This policy means that an applicant’s ability to afford a Hamilton education is not a factor in the admission decision. Thanks to need-blind admission, the Class of 2014 is who we are.” 

Although they have exceeded their goals thus far, the Senior Gift Chairs are certainly looking forward to meeting their final goal of 98% before graduation. Of the class participation, Sarah says, “the reality that students [the Senior Gift Committee] are the ones working towards making the Gift a success exemplifies our dedication to giving back to the College.” The Senior Gift is only possible with the enthusiasm and love for Hamilton from the senior class.

If you have yet to participate, seniors are encouraged to make gifts online by visiting Hamilton’s online giving website: https://my.hamilton.edu/makeagift. Cash or Hillcard gifts may be made at the Communications and Development Office. Any student that makes a gift prior to the end of the semester may pick-up a Class of 2014 pint glass from the C&D Office!

Courtney is a sophomore at Hamilton College who is majoring Psychology and minoring in Sociology and Spanish. She enjoys tour guiding, writing, and living on the dark side.
-