Pies for Sophia: Hamilton Women’s Field Hockey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

1. What is your organization?

Hamilton College Women’s Varsity Field Hockey

TeamHead Coach: Gillian McDonald

Cause: Team IMPACT.

Team IMPACT coordinator on our team: goalie Victoria Trentini ‘15

2. What is Pies for Sophia?

September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness month, so the Hamilton’s Varsity Field Hockey team added a new player to their roster through Team Impact:12 year old, Sophia Johnson #88 from Newport, NY. In honor of Sophia’s fight against Medulloblastoma, Hamilton’s Field Hockey and Men’s Soccer teams hosted the Whipping Childhood Cancer Challenge on October 11. Participants had the chance to throw whip-cream pies at athletes faces for a donation of $1 per pie! The teams hoped that PIES FOR SOPHIA would help spread awareness about childhood cancer. 

3. How did the fundraiser go? The fundraiser was very successful and raised a lot of money through a lighthearted and fun event. It allowed the whole team to participate and was held during a football game so there was plenty of support. 

4. What else have you done for this cause?

The team wants to spread childhood cancer awareness as a general goal, but they have also specifically worked with Sophia and her family. The goal is to make Sophia an active member of their team by giving her, her own jersey, a locker in the locker room, having her join in at games on the sidelines, carving pumpkins with her, and joining her family for a fall celebration in her home town.

6. What is the best part of this cause?

The team cites  being in direct contact with Sophia and her family as the best part of this cause because it shows them the impact they have on Sophia and the impact she has on them. It has created close bonds between the team and Sophia and her family. Over the past two months the team has been able to see Sophia grow and change – her speech and mobility have greatly improved due to physical therapy. 

7. Any other information that you want to share?

The team is very proud to be a part of Team IMPACT because it is a year-round commitment that does not end when the season ends. They always stay in contact with Sophia’s family.

Laura is a sophomore at Hamilton College in the class of '17. She is Comparative Literature Major, who will be going abroad to Paris for her junior year. She is an avid baker and jewelry maker.