Nico Keller Sarmiento ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

At this point, you have most likely seen Nico Keller’s short film, Real Housewives of the Hill, being shared around Facebook (if you haven’t seen it yet, click here to watch the video – it’s hilarious). His film won first place in the annual 24-Hour Film Festival last week and has been a hit on campus. In the interview below, Nico discusses what inspired him to make the film and his future plans working in the filmmaking industry. 

Who or what inspired you to make Real Housewives of the Hill?

Real Housewives of the Hill was an idea that I had wanted to do for a very long time. I just think it’s very funny to combine familiar things that people are used to and mix them with popular culture.

Have you always been interested in film and/or directing?

I have always acted, but I got into directing recently. I spent last semester in NYU doing a filmmaking program. Film has always been a part of my life. 

What was the most difficult thing about directing this film?

Obviously, the time frame is the biggest challenge for the 24 hour film fest. Editing always gets tricky, so you need to give yourself a lot of extra time. Luckily, the shooting process went very smoothly – it helps to have a solid cast!

The students you chose in the video are absolutely hilarious. How did you go about casting people for your video?

I first reached out to Michael Breslin ’13 and Ashley Vanicek ’13 with the project. They were interested and were dying to be in it. I then contacted friends from the theatre department who I thought could do a great job. The third actress to secure was Jenna Langbaum ’15 and the fourth was Sarah “Dewi” Caswell ’14. Most of my actors knew more about the actual Housewives reality show than I did, so I had some catching up to do. Most of their dialogues are improvised, so I knew that I would need a very talented cast. I wanted to keep the script to a minimum, so as to let the actors explore. These shows create a very ‘genuine’ facade, so I was looking for a very realistic approach. 

What do you consider the elements of a good film?

I consider a good film to be inspiring, educational and entertaining. A great story always helps. 

What are your post-graduation plans?

After college I plan on getting a film-related job in either NY or LA.

-