Hurricane Irma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

As you probably know already, Hurricane Irma is currently off the coast of Florida, heading toward areas like Miami, Tampa, and more. Many places in Florida are in a state of emergency, preparing to evacuate or evacuating already. According to the Washington Post, Irma could end up being “the worst hurricane in history” for the state. Coastal water levels are rising, creating the chance of extremely dangerous flooding. Many buildings in the targeted areas of Florida are not built to handle “winds gusting over 150 mph,” which are a definite possibility. Of course, extensive power outages are also likely in addition to damaging and life-threatening flooding and wind damage.

Already, Hurricane Irma has caused massive destruction in the Caribbean, with devastating damage to infrastructure, homes, hospitals, etc. Parts of Puerto Rico could potentially face power outages for up to 6 months. In Barbuda, there is no more running water or telephone service, one child was killed, and “At least 95% of the properties in Barbuda are either totally destroyed or damaged.”

Another hurricane, Jose, is also currently in the Atlantic and posed to hit the Caribbean. Many countries here are in desperate need of food, supplies, medicine, etc. Donations to relief funds and charities like UNICEF can help rebuild communities and save lives in these islands and in Florida. If you are able, consider donating even just a few dollars to those affected by Hurricanes Irma, Jose, and Harvey, which recently hit Texas. Check out the links in this article if you want to learn more. 

Photo: Soldiers loading water for Harvey survivors 

Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.