The Hamilton Hook Up Culture: A Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.
It is safe to say that the term “hook-up culture” is widely discussed on the Hamilton 

College campus. I have heard from many of my peers that they really enjoy and 

benefit from the hook-up culture. Some Hamilton students find it liberating. They 

feel free to express their sexuality in numerous ways and with various partners. 

They claim that in such a high stress environment, it can be nice to have fling with 

someone with no commitments! No awkward Easter brunches with their partner’s 

parents, no pressure to text frequently, no dealing with someone else’s problems. No 

strings attached, right? But is that really what most Hamilton students want? Or is it 

something we’re convincing ourselves of to justify our regular weekend-behaviors. 

In this article, three Hamilton students speak their minds and share their opinions 

about this hotly debated term. Here is what they had to say:

When you think of the hook up culture at Hamilton, what are the first few words that 

come to mind?

Student 1: “Pervasive”

Student 2: “Prevalent”

Student 1: “Exciting”

Student 3: “Self-harming”

Student 1: “Frustrating”

Student 2: “I think that it’s a small small school, so there’s got to be a lot of Eskimo 

brothers and sisters on this campus”

(Laughter)

Student 1: “Incestuous”

Student 2: “There’s a niceness to it, because you’re never hooking up with a total 

stranger, everyone knows everyone here, and there’s a level of security in that”

How would you describe the hook-up culture at Hamilton to someone who doesn’t 

already know about it?

Student 3: “People get drunk, go out, and suddenly feel courageous enough to hook 

up with someone whether they really want to that badly or not. But sometimes it 

can also start relationships.”

Student 2: “Sometimes you’ll never see them again, except you see them every day 

because it’s a small school”

Student 3: “I guess in general, you can find what you want if you know how to get it”

Student 2: “There is also a level though where you don’t have to participate if you 

don’t want to. I don’t really feel pressure from other people, but I do feel it from 

myself”

Student 3: “But the hook up culture has replaced the dating culture. So you can’t 

really choose not to do it if you are looking for a relationship”

Student 2: “There’s this distinction about whether or not you sober-hook-up or not. 

If it’s just on the weekend, drunkenly, and consistently, and if it’s not sober ever, it 

really isn’t dating.”

What have been some of your best or worst experiences with the hook up culture?

Student 3: “Losing my virginity”

Student 3: “This guy and I

hooked up regularly, but only drunk. Me, a silly freshman, 

was thinking that because it was every single weekend and we texted outside of 

that, that it meant something”

Student 2 Response: “But that shouldn’t be a silly freshman thing! Or a junior thing! If 

I was sleeping and talking regularly with someone, I would consider that real”

Student 1: “I got mono! (Laughter). Classic college. Worst experience”

Student 2: “I hooked up with someone multiple times from Friendsy. It was kind of a 

cool experience because I could meet someone who I never would have met 

otherwise”

Student 3: “Best experience: Actually liking the person and then dating them”

Student 2: “Being a virgin, it is so difficult. Hooking up with somebody drunk, I feel 

no security that they DON’T expect sex. So I either don’t go into it at all, or if I do, I 

have to explain to them something personal that I don’t want to share with them.”

Student 1: “Another worst part of the hook up culture is not having the affirmation 

that a guy really likes you for YOU. So you don’t know if he’s just going for you for 

the hook up for the night, or if he actually had a good time just talking to you. And it 

goes both ways. Girls do it, too. I’ve seen it. It’s so hard; no guys are asking you on a 

real date, for the most part. I’ve gone on two dates in my whole life. And when I start 

thinking about our parents’ generation I realize that they only dated, they didn’t 

hook up. We don’t have asking each other out on dates anymore.” 

Student 2: “Yeah, and I really have had to change my expectations about finding a 

possible spouse here at Hamilton. My parents got married and met at Hamilton, and 

I always thought in my dumb mind that I would find that, too. But the hook-up 

culture makes it really hard.”
Carolyn is a junior at Hamilton College. She is a Women's Studies major and Government minor. Carolyn loves to play acoustic guitar, sing a cappella music, travel and draw!
Laura is a sophomore at Hamilton College in the class of '17. She is Comparative Literature Major, who will be going abroad to Paris for her junior year. She is an avid baker and jewelry maker.