Get to Know Dorothy Atkin-Mapes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Get to Know Dorothy Atkin-Mapes

Name: Dorothy Atkin-Mapes

Class Year: 2017

Major(s): Math and Government Double Major

Residence Hall: Carnegie Hall

Favorite TV show right now: Survivor!!!!!!!! It’s the best game in the world. It’s my dream to get the chance to play.

Extra curricular activities (list):

–       Special K (all female a cappella group)

–       Hamilton College Choir

What’s your favorite extra curricular and why?

My favorite extra curricular (although I love Choir) is definitely Special K. It is a great way to get to know people in all different class years, and I have made most of my best friends through Special K. There is no better feeling than making beautiful music with all of your best friends.  

If you could choose your dream job right now, what would it be and why?

Since I was 5 years old, I have wanted to be a math teacher, and that dream has never changed. Math is a commonly hated subject among high school students, and I would love to have the chance to change that and inspire students with my passion for math. I love working with kids, and I hope to be a role model to students both inside and outside of the classroom.

What’s something you’d want the Hamilton community to know about you, that they might not already?

I hold an (informal) world record. I can say all 50 states in alphabetical order in less than 13 seconds. Feel free to stop me around campus and ask me to do it for you.

Pancakes or waffles?

Waffles. But not the waffles in the dining halls. I like really thin waffles and love to add butter and powdered sugar. 

Carolyn is a junior at Hamilton College. She is a Women's Studies major and Government minor. Carolyn loves to play acoustic guitar, sing a cappella music, travel and draw!