Dressing for the Holidays: The Ugly Sweater Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

At some point in your college career, you will attend – or at least have heard of – the classic Ugly Christmas Sweater party, where you’re forced to wear an ugly Christmas sweater (obviously). The problem with these sweaters is that they are usually frumpy, gaudy, and completely unflattering on almost everyone, yet we see them on countless people during the holiday season all the same.

You could go the boring route and wear that cheesy knit sweater covered with snowmen and string lights OR you could stand out and surprise everyone by showing up in a completely hot, stylish spin on the tacky trend. Just because it’s an ugly sweater party, doesn’t mean you have to look ugly. So, how do you rock the ugly Christmas sweater if you’re attending one of these parties? We’ve rounded up nine of our favorite ugly sweaters that you’ll actually love and a few tips to wear the trend while still looking good. 

Black Sequin Reindeer Christmas Dolman Top – River Island, $40

Green Reindeer Jumper – Dorthy Perkins, $55

This top and the one below are pretty plain. If you’re feeling edgy, make a bold statement with a pair of black leather pants like these for a more exciting look. 

Can’t Catch Me Sweater – Modcloth, $90

PJ by Peter Jensen Polka Dot Bow Sweater – Urban Outfitters, $40

b) Christmas Sweater With Mistletoe Detail – Asos, $56

c) Christmas Pattern Sweater – Asos, $56

Yellow Long Sleeve Deer Print Loose Pullovers Sweater, $32

Let this sweater be the center of attention and stand out as a statement piece by completing your outfit with a pair of simple blue/black jeans or black skirt.

Grey Batwing Long Sleeve Deer Print Sweater, $32

This sweater (and the one below) is big enough to wear as a dress if you’d like. To avoid looking like a shapless blob, try wearing a belt with the sweater.  Another great way to add some style is to pair the sweater with patterned tights/leggings. It might seem counterintuitive to wear a sweater like this with even more patterns, but in fact, mixing and matching prints can make your outfit look less boring and more street-style chic. 

Urban Renewal Ugly Christmas Sweater – Urban Outfitters, $40

-