Dos and Don’ts for First-Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

A First-Year Survival Guide

1) Don’t call home too often: While it is a good idea to keep in contact with your family and let them know 1) simply that you are alive 2) the good things going on in your life and 3) any challenges you might be facing, calling home too often can stunt the process of becoming independent that is so integral to the college experience.

Alternative: A good a rule to follow is to call home at least once a week and update your family about your new life because they will be interested, but it is also good not to call home with every problem you face. When facing a problem, it can be beneficial to a take a few days and talk to people on campus, such as friends, upperclassmen, professors – people who share the college experience with you – and think through the problem on your own. If you still want to call home after that, no problem; however it’s better not to call home for the solution to every problem. Solving problems on your own at first might be difficult, but in the end it will help you become the independent person we learn to be at college.

2) Don’t obsess: Simple. Don’t obsess about classes or grades, that guy who hasn’t called, or those girls you think know everything. While some of these are good things to keep on your mind – especially your classes and grades – don’t let them overwhelm you or you might finish your first year feeling like you missed out on something great because you figuratively couldn’t see the forest for the trees. 

Alternative: It sounds cliché, but the best way to experience college is by trying new things and finding balance in your life. So find a new club, or a friend you never would have had before and embrace all sides of your life and perhaps you will find the things you truly love and those that love you, plus it might just help you keep your sanity.

3. Don’t try and be someone else: Many people state that college is the time to reinvent yourself, to have clean slate, but that doesn’t mean becoming something you are not. If you want to try new things go for it, but don’t try them because you think that you are in some way obligated to be more outgoing, experienced, or even bookworm-ish.

Alternative: This is a time of exploration, of growth and self- enlightenment, but it doesn’t happen in one stand-alone ah-ha moment, but over subtly through each class and semester as you succeed from one challenge to the next. Think about what makes you happy and what doesn’t. It seems simple, but it’s a lot harder when you think the world expects you to be a “college student” whatever that means to you. Make each decision with the questions: “Will this make me happy?” and “Will I respect this person I might become?”

4. Don’t over exert yourself: No matter what is important to you, we all the have the slight tendency to compare ourselves to others and think we need to do more or be more. Sometimes doing more is good, such as studying or getting involved on campus, but other times it drains us.

Alternative: Remember it’s okay to relax and be alone sometimes. You do not need to be the head of every club. Being surrounded by people and new opportunities all the time can be a little overwhelming for the best of us, so take a time out when you need it. Read a book, watch Netflix, take a walk, or just nap, but set aside some time every now and then to be by yourself and block out the exciting chaos to get some peace of mind (conversely, don’t only do this: embrace this time of life for it only comes once). 

Laura is a sophomore at Hamilton College in the class of '17. She is Comparative Literature Major, who will be going abroad to Paris for her junior year. She is an avid baker and jewelry maker.