Dear Feminists, Girly Girls Can Believe in Female Empowerment As Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

I guess you could say that I’m a feminist.

No, I’m far from being a male-hating, bra-burning, unshaved bitch. That’s just the negative connotation society gives to all women possessing a belief in female empowerment.  To me, being a feminist means staying true to myself. It means liking stereotypically girly things because I genuinely love them and not just because I’m a girl. It means refusing to take crap from guys and girls. 

That being said, I’m a girl, and I like really girly things:

I love the color pink.

I enjoy getting mani/pedis and the feeling of being pampered like a princess.

My guy friends at home told me that I fit the mold of a Mad Men housewife because I cook, I bake, I clean, and I love every second of it.

I often find myself of the odious predicament of whether to read Cosmopolitan or the New York Times.

I think shopping is a perfectly legitimate activity and that wearing cute outfits is an art.

I wear makeup and style my hair because I like to look my best everyday.  I dress to impress.

I sometimes would rather stay in bed, watch sappy love movies, and read YA “chick-lit” than go out and be social with my friends.

And, I ardently believe that my Prince Charming is out there, and I have no shame is daydreaming about him.

Yet, these very qualities and beliefs have strangely had a tendency to make others react negatively towards me, like conservative society may view feminists.  This entire comparison is, actually, ironic, for most of the bad vibes have come from those preaching to be feminists.  Why is it that I can’t wear makeup and dress nicely without someone judging me and assuming that I’m only doing it to get male attention?  I didn’t realize I need to be bare faced and au-naturel in order to be taken seriously.  Why can’t I read women’s magazines without receiving harsh looks?  Beauty products and magazines do not make women airheads and boy-crazy, dependent weaklings.  I can enjoy these things and still have substance in my brain as well. 

If being a feminist means being the strongest and best woman you can be without taking crap from anyone, you can be, I damn well will.  Haters are gonna hate, but I will continue to highlight my blonde hair, read Cosmo, and apply mascara like an artist because I can and because I want to. 

Kaitlin is an English and Art History double-major at Hamilton College.