Best Halloween Movies on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

While some people can party all Halloweekend, for those of us who need a night off, here are some fun movies you can stream on Netflix. Grab a friend or a mug of hot chocolate (or both) and have a great time!  

1. Young Frankenstein (Rotten Tomatoes – Audience Score 92%)

This 1974 classic parody features Gene Wilder as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, who follows in the footsteps of his grandfather, Victor Frankenstein. He and his assistant, Igor, reanimate a corpse and a series of hilarious mishaps follow as they realize it may not have been the wisest decision.

2. The Sixth Sense (Rotten Tomatoes – Audience Score 90%)

If you love twists, you are gonna love this movie. This 1999 supernatural horror-thriller certainly withstands the test of time, keeping its audience guessing until the end. It tells the story of a child psychologist trying to help a young boy who claims he can see and speak with the dead.

3. Train to Busan (Rotten Tomatoes – Audience Score 88%)

If you don’t mind subtitles (or happen to speak Korean) this is  an excellent apocalyptic flick. Seok-Woo is a divorced father traveling with his young daughter to Busan to see her mother for her birthday. Just before the train departs though, a young woman with a bite on her leg becomes a zombie and attacks people, spreading the disease throughout the train. The rest of the film sees Seok-Woo trying to save his daughter, as well as a man working to save his pregnant wife. Well-acted and with a compelling story, you won’t regret watching this film.

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Rotten Tomatoes – Audience Score 91%)

This Tim Burton animated film stars the “Pumpkin King,” Jack Skellington who rules over Halloween town inhabited by a variety of monsters. Bored with the routine however, he wanders through the forest and accidently finds portals to other worlds with their own specific holiday. Deciding to take over Christmas, the movie follows how the citizens of Halloween Town embrace the wildly different holiday.

5. Mulan (Rotten Tomatoes – Audience Score 85% but should be 105%)

Ok, so Mulan isn’t exactly a Halloween movie, but there is never a bad time to watch it. My personal favorite Disney character, Mulan exemplifies girl power. Settle in and get ready to sing along to the obscenely catchy musical numbers that are sprinkled through the film. This movie only gets better with age, and if you haven’t seen it in a while, I strongly suggest making time for it.

Emma Ritz

Hamilton '20

Emma Ritz is a Junior at Hamilton College in New York, majoring in world politics. 
Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.