6 Alternative Spring Break Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Are you staying home for Spring Break? Does it seem like everyone else has plans to escape the tundra and vacation in warmer climates? No need to be too depressed there are plenty of alternatives to going away for Spring Break. 

Mini Vacations:

Try taking mini vacations to break up the monotony of two weeks at home: take day trips to good shopping locations, museums, restaurants you’ve been wanting to try, or take a spur of the moment trip and see where you end up. A day trip has all the fun of going away, but none of the hassle of packing or planning that a full out vacation entails.

Another mini vacation idea is to visit your friends at other colleges. While it may seem sad that some of your friends’ vacations don’t match up with your own, it is also a great opportunity to visit their school and see what their college life is like. Spending a weekend with a friend at their college, gives you all the fun of college weekends out, but without the stress of trying to finish schoolwork because you’re on break.

Start a Project:

Take this time to learn that weird or random thing you always wanted to know how to do. Teach yourself how to crochet or knit and come back from Spring Break with a new scarf. Starting a new project will make you feel accomplished and you can say you did something more than stay home during break. A great and decently easy crochet scarf pattern is here: http://peoplewebs.blogspot.com/2011/01/pattern-chunky-circle-scarf.html.

Improve yourself:

Use this Spring Break to set yourself goals and accomplish them. Decide to eat healthier, start a new health routine, read more, or just think more positively. Everyone always gets swept up in New Years resolutions, but rarely ever accomplish them. Instead set yourself a Spring Break goal and see what you can accomplish in just two weeks time.

Catch up on your TV Shows:

Use Spring break as a time to catch up on all the TV shows you neglected during the semester. If you cannot physically escape to a far away place, at least escape with the characters of your favorite shows to their more interesting lives.

Apply for Jobs of Internships:

While this may seem like a boring thing to do anytime, break is a great time for doing applications because you have two whole weeks without constant schoolwork. Even though being home may not be the best, at least you can say you applied for positions your friends didn’t have to time because they were away.

Sleep:

That’s it sleep. Catch up on all the sleep you missed during midterms and store up on sleep for all the sleep you will miss next semester. Relish in the fact that you get to sleep in your own bed without the fear of being woken up by neighbors, roommates or anyone at random times of the night.

Laura is a sophomore at Hamilton College in the class of '17. She is Comparative Literature Major, who will be going abroad to Paris for her junior year. She is an avid baker and jewelry maker.