3.5 Week Freshman Reflections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

It’s been nearly one month since I officially set foot on the Hamilton College campus; one month since I boarded a plane from Hong Kong to JFK; one month since I last saw my parents. Suffice it to say, I am still amazed. In between awkward introductions, failed laundry attempts, and long distance phone calls, I have settled into a routine of sorts, and slowly but surely am adjusting to a college way of life. That is not to say I am assured about my place here in Hamilton: I doubt the beauty of Central New York alone will ever completely sink in. Nevertheless, I have taken away a few points during my 3.5 weeks here. 

1.         It’s okay if you forget people’s names; it’s equally okay if they forget yours. Do not take it personally.

2.         Getting mad about sleeping in too late missing only your third class of the semester is not going to solve anything.

3.         Old fashioned alarm clocks are superior to digital alarm foolishness.

4.         It’s okay to be homesick.

5.         It’s okay to be sad.

6.         Signing up for everything is possible, so do it.

7.         Showing up to the first meeting for everything is possible, so do it.

8.         Sticking to everything you signed up for is not possible, so narrow it down to a few activities.

9.         There’s always next semester.

10.   Talking to family and friends from home is necessary.

11.   Asking for help is a breeze, if you actually ask for the help.

12.   Clinton weather is fickle.  

13.   Booking flight tickets in advance is smart.

The list as it stands is brief, and will likely expand as my time in Hamilton continues. I still catch myself looking out the window of my dorm, doing a double take because trees and not high rise apartment buildings are within my view. I am no longer home. I am on an entirely different continent, among a different people. But it is the people and the place I chose to come to, and I am learning that it was the right choice.

I'm Claire, a first year student hailing from Hong Kong, studying at Hamilton College.
Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.