Surviving Parties 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

We all know how hard it can be to balance good grades, student orgs, and getting enough sleep in college – so it’s natural that on the weekends we want to unwind and have fun with our friends. Before you hit up all the parties this weekend, check out some quick tips on how to make the most out of your night and wake up the next morning with #noragrets!

1. Take advantage of the buddy system

You probably haven’t heard someone mention the buddy system since your 3rd grade field trip, but much like choker necklaces and tying flannels around your waist, this trend is making a come back. The buddy system is a sure fire way to make sure that you and your friends get to – and from – a party in one piece. It never hurts to have someone watching your back either, so next time you’re about to head out make a pact with your girlfriend that you won’t leave each other behind!

2. Invest in a jacket and a pair of shoes you don’t care about

All of those long afternoons spent perusing the sale racks at Forever 21 are about to pay off. Investing in a jacket and pair of cute boots you don’t care about are key to surviving parties, especially once the weather no longer permits flip flops and crops tops. You wouldn’t expose your new Frye boots to sticky floors and inevitable jungle juice stains – so having a back up pair that can get dirty is a wardrobe essential! My go to for trendy but inexpensive staples? DSW!

3. Keep your eyes on your drink. No seriously.

I know, I probably sound like your high school Health Ed teacher. While you may have been too busy scribbling hearts on your notebook back in high school, this rule is key to college parties. Keep your eyes on your drink at all times. Don’t pick up a random cup and start drinking from it, and don’t let someone go get you a drink. You should be 100% aware of what’s in your cup at all times.

5. Keep an eye on your purse too.

Clubs and house parties are notorious black holes for all things valuable. Investing in a neutral cross-body bag is the perfect way to keep your wallet and keys on you at all times. Bonus points if it has a zipper to keep everything secure. My number one rookie mistake? Tossing my purse onto a couch already strewn with discarded jackets and bags. Someone will mistakenly take your wallet, trust me.

5. Don’t be that girl that stands in the corner on her phone.

Sure, it’s okay to snap some group pics with your girlfriends or even, dare I say, take some quality selfies – just make sure you’re not the girl standing in the corner on her phone. You might as well have stayed home if that’s the case. Parties are for socializing and meeting new people! Sure it’s awkward and sometimes uncomfortable to introduce yourself to new people, but the more people you meet the easier it gets. You never know who you’ll meet! So go ahead, introduce yourself to that cute guy in your bio lecture!

6. Document responsibly

It’s always fun to look back on last night’s pictures, but in some cases it’s probably best that only your eyes can see them and not the entire Internet. It is too easy for a silly picture from a party to wind up on Instagram and eventually into the hands of a future employer. Being “private” means nothing when it comes to the Internet, and once something is out there it’s out there forever. Remember – don’t post anything you wouldn’t want your mom to see. Have fun, but document and share responsibly!