Spring Dates in the District

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Nothing is better than DC in the spring! When the weather warms up and the cherry blossoms start to bloom, they bring the promise of longer, sunnier days and the eventual end of classes. As winter finally fades away and spring comes out in full force, it is always fun to get off campus, and one way you can do this is by trying out some fun new date ideas. Here are a few ways you can explore the city with your crush!

Picnic on the mall

At GW, we are lucky enough to be in close proximity to both the majestic monuments and the gorgeous national mall. Take a lazy afternoon to appreciate these sights by packing a picnic lunch with your guy – sandwiches from Jetties, anyone? –  and laying out in the sun. There’s no better place to sunbathe and enjoy the beautiful weather than out on the mall, and if you stay late enough, you can catch a romantic and totally Instagram-able sunset.

Explore the monuments at midnight

Speaking of the nearby monuments, take advantage of the warm spring nights and head out on a midnight monument walk. The stars will be out, most of the busloads of tourists will be in bed, and you will even get to take in DC’s stunning cherry blossoms around the mall. My personal favorite spot is the back of the Lincoln Memorial: it’s super peaceful, and you can gaze out across the river to Arlington Cemetery. For an even more enchanting sight, check out the World War II Memorial: the fountain lights up at night, and it is absolutely beautiful and romantic.

Eat out, outdoors

Splurge one night and venture off campus for a bite to eat under the stars, at a restaurant with outdoor dining. One delicious option is Café du Parc, located at the Willard Hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue, and known for the outdoor seating on its beautiful terrace. If French cuisine is not quite to your taste, just head down Penn a few more blocks and try 701 Restaurant, with Contemporary American food, cute cocktails, and a dining patio overlooking the Navy Memorial Fountains.

Discover your sporty side

Heading to a Nationals game is a great and laid-back date idea. Kick back and grab a cold beer (or ice cream, if you’re underage!) as you spectate. If your date is into sports, he’s sure to be entertained, and on top of that, tickets start at just $10! It’s a win-win.

Go for a cozy cruise

Check out Georgetown’s Chesapeake & Ohio Canal up close by taking a boat ride along the C & O National Historical Park. The boat is pulled by mules and along the way, you will get a dose of history from the in-costume characters describing what life was like for families living in Georgetown decades ago. This cruise is sure to be both interesting and picturesque – not to mention perfect for cuddling with your date as you take in the sights.

Shop and stroll

Eastern Market is DC’s oldest public market, and in addition to fresh food and produce, it offers plenty of other unique wares. If you have never been, Sunday mornings are the perfect time to make the quick trip by Metro – the stop itself is called Eastern Market! – and visit the various jewelry, scarf, and knickknack vendors lined up along the block. And if you are hungry afterward, don’t worry – there are plenty of great brunch spots in the neighborhood.

Carly Buchanan is a member of the class of 2015 at the George Washington University, where she is a journalism and mass communication major at the School of Media and Public Affairs. In addition to writing for HerCampus, she is a communications intern, guest contributor for Green Connections Media, and member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. She spent the Fall 2013 semester studying abroad in Madrid, Spain, and currently resides in Washington, D.C. Passionate about music, especially hits of the '90's, Carly also prides herself on her New England roots and mental catalog of rom-com knowledge.  You can find her on Twitter at @buchanan_carly.