Rachael Méndez ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Rachael Méndez

Year: Senior

Major: Criminal Justice

Minors: French and Business

Hometown: Overland Park, Kansas

What drew you to GW?

When I came to the Accepted Students Day, I went to the multicultural student breakfast, and a speaker there was talking about how much he loved GW. The way he portrayed life here, the community, and the way the school is integrated into city, but not too integrated, made me fall in love with it.

What campus activities are you involved in?

I’m a sister of GW Phi Sigma Sigma and I was also Sponsorship Chair for Relay for Life last year. This year, I am Assistant Chair. I was in the number “Be Italian” in FPP’s musical cabaret last spring – it was my first role in musical theater at GW, but I hope to get more involved, since I loved it in high school. I also interned full-time at a Price Benowitz, a law firm downtown.

Rachael has since transitioned to interning full time with the Metropolitan Police Department of DC, is an Assistant Manager at Captain Cookie and the formal chair of her sorority.

Can you tell me more about your experience with Relay for Life?

At this point, after having done seven Relays, I’ve pretty much held every position, and done everything at some point. My first year at GW, I was just a participant. My second year, I was on the Sponsorship and Fundraising Committee, so I helped secure water, snacks and other supplies. Last year, I was the Sponsorship Chair, so I was responsible for coordinating our corporate sponsors such as Uber and Crepeaway. I also helped plan a few percentage nights – nights when a local restaurant says that within a certain time, a portion of the proceeds will go to our cause.

Of course, being on committee means being there all day to set everything up. So being involved with Relay in this way really makes it a 24 hour event (not just a 12-hour one for those who participate and spend the night).

We love having more committee members, because especially day of, we always realize what a huge job it is. I know a lot of people were involved in high school, and aren’t sure how to get involved now. If anyone wants to get involved, they can reach out to me or email relayofgw@gmail.com. The best way to get involved is to make a team, and tell your friends to join your team. Greek life, multicultural Greek life, and other student groups – so many different people participate and it’s great to see.

What made you want to get involved with the organization?

I actually joined Relay for Life my freshman year of high school,  mostly because all of my friends were doing it. I didn’t really understand what it was at the time, but it made me ask my mom if we had a history of cancer in the family. It was the first time I’d realized my grandma had lost her life to cancer. My mom also told me how, because of ovarian cancer, all of her sisters had to have hysterectomies. Ovarian cancer, as well as skin and bone cancer, run in my family. It’s likely that my older sister and I will one day need similar treatment.

Not everyone in the world directly knows somebody who suffers from cancer, but if we are separated by everyone in the world by six degrees, then everyone know someone who has had cancer.

What is your favorite memory from Relay?

Last Relay, I was walking along the track, and all of the participants were downstairs because we were about to start the Luminaria Ceremony, in memory of loved ones lost to cancer. I looked downstairs, and it was mind-blowing how many people we had. I was so, so happy and touched to see our community coming together like that. It almost brought me to tears. We had 1,000 people signed up, most of whom did come out to participate, and it was just incredible.

How do you balance your schoolwork and other commitments?

How do I? (Laughs). I don’t know. First, let me say I will never sacrifice sleep. I cannot function with less than six hours, and less sleep than that is not going to help me. When I sit down to do stuff, I make a list of everything that needs to get done, and its priority. I make sure that if I’m having a crazy, crazy week – like, one week, I had to work, I had recruitment, tech week for Cabaret, and midterms – but I just had to take an hour for myself. So I went to Crepeaway. I just needed that time…breaks are important.

What would be your dream career?

Oh my gosh, my dream career? Well, I want to go to law school, for sure. I love planning events, and I love working for non-profits. So being able to combine those three would be incredible. And I would love to be able to drive a Maserati while I’m at it…all while looking like Beyoncé.

Note: Join Relay for Life this Tuesday from 6-8 at Roti to participate in their fundraiser! 20% of all proceeds will benefit the fight against cancer. And if you can’t make that event, be sure to check out their Bingo for Breast Cancer event in the Marvin Center’s Continental Ballroom, next Monday, Oct. 13 at 7:30.

Carly Buchanan is a member of the class of 2015 at the George Washington University, where she is a journalism and mass communication major at the School of Media and Public Affairs. In addition to writing for HerCampus, she is a communications intern, guest contributor for Green Connections Media, and member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. She spent the Fall 2013 semester studying abroad in Madrid, Spain, and currently resides in Washington, D.C. Passionate about music, especially hits of the '90's, Carly also prides herself on her New England roots and mental catalog of rom-com knowledge.  You can find her on Twitter at @buchanan_carly.