This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

1. Where are you from?
I am from West Orange, New Jersey, famous for Thomas Edison’s invention of the lightbulb.

2. What year are you at GW?
I’m a sophomore.

3. What made you decide to attend GWU?
I’ve loved D.C. since I can remember, having visited dozens of times with family as a kid. Even before I started looking at schools, though, I came across GW and was enamored by the diverse opportunities GW had to offer. Before I actually filled out my application and applied to the School of Business, Journalism, Psychology, and Creative Writing were all fields that I had in mind. GW offered all of that in an environment that provided tons of excitement and opportunity. GWU–not Georgetown, American, or anywhere else– was the place for me.

4. What are your major(s)/minor(s) and why did you choose to study those subjects?
I chose to study Business Administration, because I always have had an interest in business. After seeing my dad start his own small business and after working with him at a young age, I knew that I wanted to study business in order to hone my own skills in the field. The more I look at it, the more I see that skills in business also apply to life as a whole and are incredibly useful anywhere you go.

5. What activities are you involved in at GW?
Since freshman year, I have been a member of the GW Dean’s Council for Multicultural Recruitment and, this year, my role with admissions expanded to the STAR program, as I give tours to prospective students and their families every week. I’m a mentor for two students in the School of Business’s 2+2 Mentor Program. I’m involved in Students Against Sexual Assault and Men of Strength (MOST). Possibly the most fun role I have is as a member of the Colonial Army executive board, going to all of the University’s Men’s and Women’s Basketball games and cheering on the players, the spirited Cheer team, and the talented First Ladies Dance Team.

6. How did you get involved with the Colonial Army and why?
I was good friends with members of last year’s executive board after dedicating a lot of my time to helping the Colonial Army as a freshman. I was encouraged to apply. I applied for an e-board position and got it. I became involved in the Colonial Army, because I know that GW sports games can be exciting, but only if you get out and attend and give them a chance. The goal I have had since day one is to increase attendance at GW sports. Show everyone that it isn’t “all about the sports”. It’s about being a Colonial and cheering together in support of your own classmates.

7. What is it like to be a STAR tour guide?
In my estimation, being a STAR tour guide is one of the best experiences a student can have on campus. It is your opportunity to put your own spin on the GW experience for prospective and incoming students. As a STAR tour guide, I have the opportunity to paint a portrait of what “my GW” looks like. What hooks a lot of students and families to the University is the connection they feel with their tour guide and, thus, whether they can see themselves at GW. It’s my goal to tell them why I chose GW and show them why they should too.

8. What do you hope to do after graduation?
I’m not sure what I want to do after graduation, but the beauty of it is that I have time to figure it out as well as tons of opportunities that are available to me. I hope to secure an opportunity or path for my life beyond GW while I’m still here at GW. I hope to use the networking I’ve done at GW to benefit me outside of GW.

9. What is your greatest life goal?
My ultimate goal in life is to have a happy balance of a personal life and a professional life. As long as I am happy with myself and enjoying the life I’m living, I can’t say I’ve gone wrong. Nevertheless, I, like anyone else, have my own ideals of “success” and want to attain those as well, so I still have a lot of work to do. As long as I’m still smiling, that work will actually be worth it.

Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.