It’s Okay To Be a Feminist and Watch the VS Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

I am I proud feminist and I watch the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show every year, and that’s okay.

I used to think I had to act a certain way to be a “good feminist.” I couldn’t engage in any activity that people could possibly interpret as degrading/objectifying to women. As my feminist identity began to develop, however, I started to wonder why I felt I had to follow such a strict set of rules.

Feminism isn’t about following rules, it’s about making your own rules. Now, my feminist identity allows me to engage in whatever activities I choose, while maintaining a feminist consciousness. When I watch the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, I don’t let it affect my body image negatively. That’s because being a feminist has taught me that people of all shapes, sizes, colors and abilities are beautiful.

Create your own feminist identity. You’re a feminist if you believe in gender equality and liberation, and believe you should have the freedom to set your own rules.

Watching the Victoria’s Secret Fashion show empowers me. Be proud of what empowers you. If you enjoy shaving your legs, wearing makeup, cooking for your boyfriend, etc., you can still be a feminist, and you can own it.

I am a sophomore at The George Washington University majoring in political communication and double minoring in women's, gender, and sexuality studies, and public policy.