How to Get Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Reading days are over, and finals are upon us. It can certainly be a painful week or two, but here are some tips to survive.

1. Rest. Sacrificing sleep for studying is never a good idea. When you’re tired, you are less likely to focus and retain information as well as you would have if you’d had a full night’s sleep. Try to get at least 8 hours a night, but if that’s not possible be sure to nap. Most importantly, sleep as much as you can the night before your exam.

2. Make sure to exercise. Skipping your daily workout to study may seem like a good idea at the time, but it’s not. Working out improves blood flow to the brain and has been linked to higher academic performance.  On top of that, exercise is a huge stress reliever. It makes you feel good, improves your studying – there couldn’t possibly be a better way to spend your study break!

3. Take quick study breaks. Speaking of study breaks, remember to take advantage of them. While you may feel like locking yourself away in Gelman for hours on end is a good idea, you’ll probably end up distracted and unfocused. Take quick 15 minute breaks where you do something fun or entertaining – browse Facebook, watch some Youtube videos, get your mind off of studying. You’ll study more effectively after your short hiatus from studying. Just make sure you aren’t taking study breaks too frequently – the majority of your time should be spend actually doing work, not browsing the web.

4. Make a list and cross things off as you go. Making a list is a really great stress reliever. Laying out every thing you have to do on a sheet of paper can be helpful because it puts it all into perspective. Write down a list of all the papers you have to write and all of the tests you have to study for. Crossing them off will give you a sense of control and accomplishment during such a busy time.

5. Eat right and stay hydrated. Healthy foods like fish and berries can help with concentration. Avoid sweets and carbohydrates because they will leave you feeling sluggish and lethargic. Eat balanced meals and make sure to make time for breakfast – especially on exam day. Finally, make sure to stay hydrated by drinking enough water.

6. Find a study buddy. Work with someone who will keep you motivated, don’t pick a friend that you’ll sit around and gossip with all day. If you choose to study with someone in your class, that is always a plus. Studying with someone else can increase productivity and help you gain insights you never would have thought of if you weren’t studying with another person. Leave time to study alone, however, to make sure you have a firm grasp of the material yourself without anyone else’s help.

7. Spend a night doing something other than studying. Stay in and watch a movie, go to a restaurant in Georgetown or go exploring off-campus. Take your mind off studying for the night will help you focus better the next day when it really matters. After all, we’re not robots – we can’t study for 24 hours straight and remain functioning.

8. Relax! It’s really important that you don’t stress yourself out too much during finals week. Take a deep breath, relax, and realize finals week isn’t the end of the world. You’ve worked all semester long and you’ve got this! Be confident.

9. Create a relaxing study playlist. Put on your headphones and listen to some calming music. My favorite study songs are all by artists like John Mayer, Bon Iver, and Matt Kearney. Calming music can help you focus by blocking out loud noise – especially if you’re working in Gelman on the third floor where everyone is chit-chatting. If music doesn’t work for you, try going on naturesoundsfor.me. You can pick noises from nature sounds, to rain, to bird calls and even sleigh bells to get in that holiday spirit!

10. Look at these memes of Ryan Gosling. If that doesn’t keep you motivated, I don’t know what will!

And in case you’re struggling for a place to get work done…

Seven Secret Study Spots

For when Gelman is packed and searching for a seat is killing your motivational vibe.

1.Paul: This 2000 Penn bakery is the perfect place to study. It’s on campus, so you don’t have to walk far. You can snack on a sandwich and some macarons while studying for your Comparative Politics final. Note: only go here if you don’t need to use the Internet, because there is no WiFi. However, if you plan on studying just from the book and your notes, this is perfect because you won’t have the opportunity to let Facebook or Buzzfeed distract you!

2.Starbucks in Georgetown: This Starbucks has two floors – and the quiet upstairs is the perfect study spot! Walking over to Georgetown will give you some exercise and a well-deserved break so you can refocus when you arrive. Grab your favorite coffee, head up stairs, and enjoy the free complimentary WiFi! It’s the perfect study spot.

3.The Library of Congress: This one isn’t so secret but definitely deserves to make it on the list. While Gelman is crowded, loud, and hot, the Library of Congress is the exact opposite. Walk or take the metro over and be prepared to focus and get a ton of work done. It’s such an incredible perk of living in DC – why not take advantage of it?

4.Eckles: Don’t forget about our library on the Vern! While the bus ride over can be a little bit annoying, getting off of the main campus can help you focus. Whenever I go to Eckles I get a ton accomplished because I know I can’t just walk back home to my dorm or go to my friends’ room and watch TV. Instead, I grab a study room on the 3rd floor and lock myself in there all day. Eckles is prettier than Gelman, less crowded, and has 50 cent coffee. Another perk for freshman: you can spend any remaining J Street money on the Vern buying study snacks and candy.

5.Misha’s: This adorable coffee shop is located on 102 South Patrick Street in Alexandria, VA. Take the metro over and enjoy their delicious coffee. They have a beautiful room you can sit in and study. For your lunch break, walk around Old Town and take in all of its beauty. It’s the perfect place to get off campus and do some work. Once again, there isn’t WiFi here so you won’t be distracted by social media websites. Plus, you can cross visiting Old Town Alexandria off your Bucket List and study for finals all in one!

6.Hishhorn Museum: While this may come as a surprise, the Hishhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden is a great secret study spot. The museum is located at the corner of 7th St and Independence and open until 5:30 PM daily. Admission is always free, and the third floor lounge has a couch, desks, outlets, and a stunning view of the National Mall. Study science with a view of the Museum of Natural History in front of you, and when you need a quick study break, explore the gallery a little bit. Another truly DC study spot. 

7.Georgetown Public Library: Located at 3260 R St NW, this library is accessible by bus or cab. The Georgetown Public library is a beautiful building, and it is open until 9 PM on weekdays, 5:30 PM on Friday and Saturday, and 5 PM on Sundays. Grab coffee and snacks and head inside for the perfect secret study spot – I bet nobody from GW will be there but you! 

Good luck collegiettes!