nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to be Happy and Healthy at GW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

During my freshman year at GW, I struggled not only with piles of schoolwork but also with the stress of making friends, living with a complete stranger, and getting involved around campus. I remember calling home several times a week crying because I missed my family and my home. Every phone call would be the same; I’d complain about how much I hated college, how all I wanted to do was go home, and my parents would go through the same questions: “Are you getting involved? Are you working out? Are you hanging out with friends? Are you getting outside?”

It took me the whole year to realize that to feel good you have to make an effort because it won’t all fall into place on its own. Like my parents urged me to do, I realized that I had to go to interest meetings for clubs, say “yes” to dinner with friends, and stay active amongst many other things.

Because I like to think of myself as an expert now, here are the top five things to do to not only stay busy but also stay happy and healthy.

tumblr.com

1. Stay active. This is probably the most important thing in my opinion. I know we are all busy, but it’s really important to hit the gym, take a fun workout class like Pilates or cycling, or get outside and walk around a couple times a week. I can’t quite explain the feeling of sitting down to bang several hours of homework out at the library after you’ve worked out. Working out clears my mind and motivates me to actually get stuff done.

giphy.com

2. Get out of your dorm. Last year, especially first semester, I ate, worked, and slept all in my dorm room, and to make matters worse, my room faced another building, so I was only exposed to natural light when I was walking to and from class or to pick up some food. Go to the library. Eat out. Walk a couple blocks. Study outside. Fresh air is good for your soul, and you’ll feel a difference instantly.

3. Get off your phone, and pick your head up. This is something I still have a hard time with today. With the huge reliance on technology these days, everyone is always on their phones. Try to put your phone away when you’re walking around campus. That way you’ll recognize people from class or from your dorm, and you’ll be able to say hi. Also, you’ll avoid tripping or running into people. Also, campus can be really nice if you actually make an effort to look around instead of texting or scrolling through Instagram on your way to class.

giphy.com

4. Take a break. I know that the workload in college is a lot different and more stressful than it is in high school, but it’s really important to take some time away from the books and do something you enjoy like watch an episode on Netflix, walk to the Lincoln Memorial, or go grab a smoothie. Yes, you probably have piles and piles of work that will never end, but you also need to give your brain a break even if just for 30 minutes. Your mind will be clear, and you’ll be able to focus better once you sit back down to continue working.

5. Explore D.C. Last year I made the huge mistake of never getting out of Foggy Bottom and checking out what D.C. has to offer. While campus is great, it can get old really quickly, so try to check out a museum, go out to eat, or just explore some other part of D.C. once or twice a month. Bring your friends and have a fun couple of hours to truly explore the great city you live in. Why just stay put on campus for four years when there are so many cool places around us? This will also help get your mind off of all the work you have to do.

giphy.com

It doesn’t take a whole lot of effort to stay happy and healthy in college, and you’ll thank yourself almost instantly if you start doing some of the things I suggest. It may seem like a hassle, but it’ll be worth it, so get out there and learn the simple ways to be happy and content with where you are right now at college!

Main image source: http://ruthmartin.typepad.com/blog/