High School Musical Then & Now: From Eight to Eighteen Years Old

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Troy Bolton — please do everyone a favor and get your head in the game. Just a few nights ago, High School Musical brought the original cast together for a reunion to celebrate their 10-year anniversary. And let me tell you, watching this movie as a freshman in college is very different from watching it as an 8-year-old, third grader.

(photo by flipboard.com)

When High School Musical first came out, we all watched in awe as we saw what we believed high school was about. Yes, I thought to myself maybe one day I will meet my Troy Bolton at a ski resort on New Year’s Eve — then magically he would end up at the same high school I transferred to after break. And yes, every New Year’s Eve after 2006 was indeed filled with those expectations.

(photo by buzzfeed.com)

I thought about what my life would be like if I suddenly discovered a talent in the arts – but sadly my singing is only reserved for the shower. And no, we did not break out in song and dance in the hallways of my high school. I guess you could say the HSM cast started the flash mob trend??

(photo by columbiaspectator.com) 

Unfortunately pep rallies at my high school were far from the choreographed dance of “We’re All In This Together”, and it took a lot of effort to even muster enough enthusiasm for a school mascot chant. 

(photo by blogs.disney.com)

And those bad days you had at school, the hallway was never really empty enough for me to belt out in song about my feelings. Those were the days you just left school early.

(photo by oocities.org)

Despite high school perhaps not living up to these very expectations, High School Musical still puts me in a happy mood. And I will be completely honest in saying that watching it last week and belting out every word to every song was quite fun. Gabriella and Sharpay, your outfits looked much cuter to eight year old me!

(photo by j-14.com)

And when I took a break from singing and dancing around the room, my eyes were glued to the commercials just to see the cast reunion moments. Oh how I LOVED the audition tapes! Such babies! And Zac – your taped message was definitely the highlight of the entire telecast.

(photo by projectcasting.com)

Can we expect a college version of HSM anytime soon? Maybe that will give me some more unreal expectations for the next four years.