Five Ways to Get Yourself to the Gym (When Your Body Says Yes but your Head Says No)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

The days of bathing suits and skimpy shorts are done and gone, and motivation to hit up HelWell is lacking. It’s well documented that exercise reduces stress, boosts energy and increases focus. How do you get into the habit of working out when it’s so late in the semester? Give some of these tricks a try:

Schedule out the time

No longer is the “I’m busy, I just don’t have time” excuse plausible. Sit down tonight, look at tomorrow’s schedule and shift some things around so that you have the time to work out. If you are really tight on time, bring your reading to the gym and read it on the elliptical, or while you’re stretching and busting out crunches.

Seek the advice of a well-trained friend

Half the time I’ve talked myself out of going to the gym, it was because I was too intimidated. I never felt like I was doing anything right (so, of course, everyone was pointing and laughing behind my back). If you have a friend that knows their way around the weight room, ask for their recommendations on what to do when you get there. (Bonus! If they’re a great friend, they’ll go with you and show you the ropes). And remember… Everyone at the gym is staring at themselves in the mirror, not you.

Get an “accountabili-buddy”

Don’t get me wrong – going to they gym with a friend is great company. But, to hold you truly accountable and to push you even further, find a partner-in-crime that’s as serious about going to the gym as you are. My “accountabili-buddy” (how adorable is that?) never lets me slack off, pushes me and encourages me after a good workout… and I do the same for her.

Put Together a Pump-Up Playlist

When you’re really not in the mood to go to the gym (but know you should), turn on songs that make you want to dance and motivate you to move. Commit to just one song of bouncing around – after those three or four minutes are up, you’ll be itching to go to the gym.

Stick to a timeline

Envision where you’d like to be in a month, six months, one year. Whether you want to lose weight, tone up or just lead a healthier life, define your timeline and do your best to stay on track. When you hit each milestone, you’ll be so glad you did. 

My name is Katie, and I’m an Atlanta-born, East Coast-bred lover of all things style, decor and travel. Currently, I’m a senior at The George Washington University majoring in Communication with minors in Journalism & Mass Communication and Psychology. Though I wish I could say that I have the carriage of a demure southern belle, I’m really an (overly?) opinionated, sailor-mouthed lover of Food Network and my Filofax. I also adore pugs, prosciutto, anything made with nude patent leather, and a good, long reality TV show marathon. Y’all can read more by me at KatieJCartwright.com and TheDistrictBrunette.com.