Books from Authors like Sarah J Maas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Sarah J Maas is known for her breathtaking fantasy series that are equal parts thrilling, romantic, and imaginative. Both of her series feature dynamic fae and exceptional royalty. You cannot mistake the similarities in her worlds for a simplicity in her storylines. On the contrary, both series contain distinct characters, magic, and worlds that shift from book to book as the plot demands. I often find myself in Maas withdrawals after her book releases, so here are some books that may pique your interest.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo: Much like Maas, Bardugo has a dynamic crew who team up and defeat a more economically and magically endowed group. In this high fantasy world, there is only one misfit crew who can pull off the heist of a lifetime saving themselves and their world in the process. It’s impossible not to love this unexpected novel.

Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson: One princess runs away from her arranged marriage and her claim to the throne. Little does she know, she walks into her destiny after having acquired the skills and support she needed to rule. Her path is surprisingly similar to one queen’s hidden background in Throne of Glass and another’s refusal to accept a bargain in ACTAR. The heartwrenching knowledge the reader makes for a compelling read.  

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire: Now this book is not YA, nor is it high fantasy, but if you love Maas’s quippy, steamy, or fighty scenes then I promise you will not be disappointed. The series follows three siblings in a family of cryptozoologists. In other words, they are the group of humans advocating for the study and understanding of the hidden world of monsters. This urban fantasy has a great crew of characters, incredible fight scenes, and interesting world building fit for a lover of Maas.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer: Another book series that began as a Cinderella retelling and ended in far more fight scenes, romantic pairings, and royalty disputes. Here, one Cyborg mechanic finds her place in the lunar lineage after a chance encounter with the prince. Of course, both books branched out from their beginnings and became wonderfully rich series that can make anyone swoon. 

Graceling by Kristin Cashore: This book is a classic high fantasy series for a reason. The book asks what would you do if you had a talent or grace for killing? If you love underestimated assassins, out of place rulers, and interesting relationship dynamics, you will love watching three separate heroines move through the same world in a unified attempt to better the people they serve. 

Obviously, none of these authors can completely fill the hole in your heart left by Sarah J. Maas’s book withdrawal. If you do end up reading one of these books, I guarantee you will feel just a tiny bit better. Happy Reading!