Baby it’s Cold Outside: Best of Winter Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

As winter is fast approaching, it’s time to bring out your warmest sweaters, coats, and boots. While some of us may not love the abrupt temperature drop, there’s much to look forward to in terms of winter fashion. After all, more layers means an endless array of opportunities to get creative. Oh, and there’s also the Holiday Starbucks drinks—not bad at all.

Chic Shearling

One of my favorite trends from the Fall/Winter 2014 runway collections was all of the shearling jackets and coats. Not only is shearling oh-so-cozy, but also it adds texture to any outfit. A great shearling-lined jacket can make even your basic skinny jeans and sweater combo that much more fashionable. Don’t be afraid to invest in a coat or jacket that’s a little more expensive. This trend seems to be here to stay.

Add some shearling to your wardrobe from Cusp, another vest from Cusp, Nasty Gal and Lulus!

Bold Prints

Stand out in a sea of neutrals this season by donning the runway’s hottest patterned pieces. This trend is certainly not for the faint of heart, but when worn in moderation, it’s sure to brighten even the dreariest of winter days. Be sure to keep the rest of your look simple when wearing a brightly patterned item—multiple bright prints may work on the runway but could be too much for your 8am lecture.

Add bold prints to your wardrobe from Lulus, Asos, Urban Outfitters and another print from Lulus!

Mod, Mod World

Look out, the 60s Mod look is back again! This one seems to cycle through every few seasons, so if you like A-line miniskirts and swingy shift dresses, it may be time to finally bite the bullet. Remember to try out one vintage-inspired piece at a time—or risk looking like you walked out of a time machine. There are tons of pieces in stores right now that are 60s-inspired, but with a modern twist. Or, if you’re wearing an authentic vintage piece (lucky you!) make sure the rest of your look is simple and up-to-date.

Add some mod to your wardrobe from Topshop, another skirt from Topshop and Zara!

Sweater Weather: The Chunkier the Better

Last but not least is that perfect chunky knit—you know the one I’m talking about. It’s the perfect mix of comfort and style. It feels just like curling up in what seems like your favorite worn-in sweatshirt but is actually quite chic. Year after year, beautiful knit sweaters crop up all over the fall runways and this year is no exception. Pair your oversized sweater with a pair of skinny jeans or leggings and your favorite pair of boots and you’re good to go.

Add some chunky sweaters to your wardrobe from Brandy Melville, Urban Outfitters and another sweater from Urban Outfitters!