Andy Lieberman ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Andy Lieberman

Year: Senior

Hometown: Port Washington, NY

Major: Communications

Minors: Theatre and Psychology

What student orgs have you been involved in?

I spent the past two years on the board of Forbidden Planet Productions, where I was an Associate Producer and then, after that, Co-Executive Producer. This year, I’m on the Student Theatre Council, where I work as the Events Coordinator. (Shout out to our Bertucci’s fundraiser coming up this Tuesday [11/18]! Go buy all the pasta your heart desires from 11:00am-10:00pm and say you’re with STC!) I also have been involved with three different shows this semester: I directed a Freshman Showcase with Generic Theatre Company, played Bobby Strong in Urinetown with the Department of Theatre and Dance, and am currently playing Tipo/Kronk’s Angel in The Emperor’s New Groove with Fourteenth Grade Players.

What got you so interested in student theatre?

When I first got to GW, I was genuinely concerned that I wasn’t going to have any opportunity to do any theatre. GW was the land of politics, international affairs, and government, and here I was, dwelling in the world of cast list drama, Throat Coat tea, jazz hands, and “going method.” I was worried I wouldn’t be able to do theatre again. Fortunately, when I got to CI, I was put at ease when I learned about the four different companies. I definitely spent a few hours YouTube stalking old videos from FPP’s Cabaret after CI ended, and come August, came to the joint auditions for Freshman Showcase and Songs for a New World.

And how did that work out?

I discovered a new meaning to the phrase ‘time management’ when I was cast in both. The rest, as they say, is history. And now I’m old.

You mentioned you’ve worked with both the Department of Theatre & Dance and student theatre companies—how do you balance the commitment of both?

Even though both student theatre and TRDA demand a lot, I found that they ask for the same attention and respect in different ways, which has made it easy to remain involved in both. One of the biggest differences is student theatre works around previously standing conflicts, but TRDA rehearsals are what you work the rest of your life around, which gives it a very professional feel. The fact that the department treats its actors with the same standards and respect that they would give professionals makes the hours spent in rehearsal so worth it. Yeah it can be stressful to balance both at the same time (and I would tell anyone who wants to be involved to think about the time commitment), but the people involved make both experiences in to something special, and worth those extra hours doing both.

What do you think sets art students apart?

In one word: passion. I have friends from all walks of earth, and I rarely see the same kind of passion for things that art students channel into their work. This sounds like such a line, but art students create, destroy, alter, and feel, all in the name of giving something of meaning to the world. How often do we get the chance to do that in our lives? I’m lucky to be part of a community where people offer so many talents, where they give everything that they have to a role, a song, a project, whatever it might be, all to be a part of something creative and meaningful.

Top three things you’ve learned from your theatrical experiences—GO.

Yikes…. top three? That’s hard…

1. Never ask me to do your makeup. It’s a skill that confuses me and will always do so. I was told to use two kinds of make-up to look dirty for Urinetown, and on the first night using it, I gave myself an incredibly large, bright-red make up hickey. Definitely not flattering.

2. The best moments in theatre don’t occur on stage; they happen behind the scenes, in rehearsals, and backstage with the people around you, and they are some of my most treasured memories.

3. “Never let tall buildings block the view of your dreams.” This is a quote from my current favorite musical, Ordinary Days by Adam Gwon, but I think it accurately describes what I’ve learned from my years of doing theatre. In life, you will face challenges around every corner- people who doubt you, who don’t believe in you, who make you think you shouldn’t chase your dreams. Hold on to those dreams- they make you who you are.

Any shameless plugs for upcoming productions?

Like I said before, I’m playing Tipo and Kronk’s Angel in the upcoming production of The Emperor’s New Groove, directed by Shira Hereld. (Yeah- THAT Emperor’s!) It’s real, it’s amazing, and it’s going to be a fun time for everyone. I’m not gonna give away all the details, but there are some special surprises in this show for the audience, and I know that you’ll love every minute of it. Come check out the show on the Vern next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday!

[link for Emperor’s New Groove info: https://www.facebook.com/events/336289943217168/]