Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

For the past couple of years, I have taken to writing down quotes I find particularly interesting or inspiring. I recently came across a quote I quite like, and in light of recent news, I decided to examine it further. Lord Acton, an English historian, politician, and writer (1934-1902), said, “And remember, where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. All power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.”[1] I am always in awe of those great historical luminaries whose observations of the human condition are expressed in quotations that transcend time. Inspecting this quote through the lens of current events, I immediately think of the news headlines attempting to encapsulate the issues surrounding the Libyan dictator, Moammar Gadhafi: Rebels Repel Gaddafi Force But Strongman Strikes Back; Rebels in Libya Win Battle but Fail to Loosen Qaddafi’s Grip.”[2] These stories reaffirm Lord Acton’s keen observations– that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Although Lord Acton was certainly talking about political power, we can examine his quote by observing the power that is wielded by media superstars whose earning power can exceed the GNP of small countries. These superstars often become victims of their own egos. For example, the media has recently highlighted the latest crash-and-burn victims Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan, who are only a couple of actors in a long line of talented young stars. These individuals who happened upon fame and celebrity at such a young age seem to consistently travel down a dangerous path. In the most up to date news, Charlie Sheen seems to epitomize the dark side of having too much fame and power. In a recent interview with ABC News, Sheen said, “I am on a drug. It’s called Charlie Sheen.” He proceeded to say that he is “tired of acting like he’s not special” in an interview with NBC News. It is these instances in which I am forced to wonder about the nature of power. Are those of us who are striving each day to reach our goals, struggling with the daily trials and tribulations of college life, in fact blessed that we are not suffering the delusions of grandeur that seem to engulf the recipients of so-called good fortune? And what if ‘good fortune’ should one day shine upon us? Can we be sure not to fall prey of such human weakness? Is everyone prone to Lord Acton’s observation that power inevitably leads to corruptness? Perhaps not.

Maybe we can turn to the Bill Gates’s of the world, the people that have made a career of giving back. Our culture idolizes and dwells on those individuals that have abused their power. Why not dwell on the people that have used their power effectively? Is it because it’s boring– because we find so much more pleasure in the gossip of such outrageous comments as Charlie Sheen has displayed in the past couple of days?

Power and corruption are certainly difficult concepts to grasp, and by no means do I attempt to answer any of the questions I pose. I simply wonder if particular individuals are more prone to corruptness than others, or if it depends on when or how the power was obtained. I suppose it is all circumstantial, but it is certainly something to consider and think about. If you were given absolute power, how would you handle it?

[1] Wikipedia
[2] Huffington Post, New York Times
Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.