6 Types of Girls on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

1. The girl everyone is jealous of. She woke up to her boyfriend presenting her with a bouquet of roses, a teddy bear, and chocolates (shocker!). He already made dinner plans weeks before, knowing her favorite restaurant would be booked. Just when you think he’s done more than enough to spoil her, he got her the Tiffany necklace she’s been eyeing. You know you wish you were her, even if you’re rolling your eyes.

2. Daddy’s girl. Who needs a boyfriend when you have your dad to surprise you with flowers and chocolates? No matter how old you are or where you are, you’re daddy’s little girl forever. 

3. The sob story. This is the girl you want to avoid at all costs. She is the epitome of anti-Valentine’s Day and will buy herself all the chocolates she wants (“no ragrets”) and eat all of them in bed, crying, watching The Notebook. If you unfortunately can’t avoid her, be prepared to hear her entire ex-boyfriend sob story and theory on why men suck. 

4. The promiscuous chick. She’s the bold girl who has no shame to go out to the bars or clubs alone. She’s not even jealous of the girls with boyfriends because she knows she won’t be spending the night alone. 

5. The cynical feminist. “I’m an independent woman who don’t need no man.” She will drown your ears about how she thinks it’s lowly of Cindy to let Brad take her out to dinner when they’re not even dating. She’ll only tell you a million times that Valentine’s Day is a day to objectify women as needy, spoiled brats. You think she’s done ranting? She’s not. 

6. The girl’s girl. You and your girlfriends don’t hate Valentine’s Day. Sure, it would be nice to have a boyfriend to take you out to dinner and a movie, but that won’t stop your squad from watching that new movie and treating yourselves to a nice dinner. In fact, after the dinner and movie, you’ll throw a wine night slumber party and gossip about boys. By the end of night, no one will even be wishing she had a man.