5 Things You Learn Your First Month of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

As a Freshman, college may seem daunting, impossible and completely chaotic (which trust me, it is). But as a college freshman, you learn a few things very quickly, and sometimes the hard way.

1. Sleep is necessary

You claim you can function without sleep. Well, you’re wrong. You can’t get four hours of sleep every night, go to classes all day and still have enough energy to study and go out. So yes, while it may seem appealing to stay out until 3 a.m. every Wednesday night, you’ll soon learn this isn’t possible, or even appealing.

giphy.com

2. Boys never change

Coming from high school where your boy options tend to be pretty limited, college can seem like open-season for finding a cute, mature guy for a hook up. But you’ll soon realize these freshmen boys you were expecting to be ‘better’ than the ones in high school are exactly the same as they were three months ago…just sometimes with more facial hair.

3. Budgeting will keep you afloat

In college, you’re always ballin’ on a budget. You can’t buy a salad from Sweetgreen everyday and not expect eat Ramen for every meal by your second week. Give yourself an allowance for how much you can spend every day. But, don’t forget to treat yourself every once in awhile to a venti dirty chai from Starbucks.

4. You will get homesick

Yes, college is great, exciting and full of freedom. You get to dictate your own friends, schedule and meals. But soon, you’ll find yourself missing your mom’s homemade chicken noodle soup and your dad’s hugs more than you thought you would. When this happens (which it will), call your parents, your siblings and/or your friends. Just a five minute conversation makes you feel instantly better.

5. Your roommates are your lifeline

Maybe you found them through Facebook or maybe you got paired with them randomly. However you found your roommates, love and treasure them. Create a good relationship from the start, which will help you through a lot of uncomfortable and sticky situations. From throwing up in the bathroom to doing laundry for the first time, your roommate is there for you, so be there for them.

buzzfeed.com