5 Things to Do to Get into the Fall Spirit When You’re Missing Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

As a native Connecticuter I’m used to seeing leaves change color around this time. I’m also used to wearing a jacket all day as well as going on weekly trips to the apple orchard and family outings to pick pumpkins. However, this fall I’m in Washington, DC, and I have to admit I’m really missing the typical New England fall only New Englanders can go on and on about for hours. For all my fellow New Englanders, here are five things you can easily do in and around the nation’s capital in order to feel like you’re home for a little while.

giphy.com

1. Go pumpkin picking! I know this seems impossible because where the heck are you going to find a pumpkin patch in Washington, DC? But you can’t forget about what’s surrounding you. I know for a fact there are plenty of pumpkin patches in nearby Maryland and Northern Virginia. There are several that are under an hour away from campus, and it’s supper easy to grab a bunch of friends to split an Uber ride with. Check out Homestead Farm in Poolesville, Maryland, and Wayside Farm in Hamilton, Virginia. For a long list of farms, check out http://dc.about.com/od/childrensactivities/a/pumpkinpatches_2.htm. Not only do a lot of these farms have pumpkin patches but they also have apple orchards, corn mazes, and other fun fall activites.

giphy.com

2. Decorate your dorm room. I know it stinks that you can’t light candles and bask in the warm scents of fall; trust me, I’m really missing Bath and Body Works’s “Pumpkin Spice” candle. However, you can buy other kinds of cute decorations that will spice up your room’s decor! I recommend checking out TJ Maxx for festive decorations that are cheap. There are plenty of Halloween-themed decorations, like mugs and door signs, as well as Thanksgiving decor. And hey, if you can’t make it to a pumpkin patch this season, TJ Maxx is guarunteed to have some kind of fake pumpkin decoration, so never fear!

3. As the weather starts to slowly get cooler each day, take some time over a weekend to replace all the summer shorts and dresses in your wardrobe with your cozy sweaters and scarves. This really gets me excited for the chilly weather (hopefully) coming soon. I also like to change my bed sheets to flannel, which are just overall comfier at night, and add blankets to my bed. I know it can seem crazy to change out all your summer clothes for winter clothes when some days the temperature gets as high as 70 degrees, but it’ll get you super excited for later October and November weather! Plus, a lightweight sweater and a pair of jeans will do you just fine on the days it feels like spring instead of fall. 

4. Eat some apples and drink some cider. Simply buying a quart of apple cider at the supermarket and indulging every couple of days really improves my mood, as crazy as it sounds. Back home my mom buys cider all the time, and we love heating it up and adding a cinnamon stick. It’s so flavorful and is the epitome of fall. I also love eating apples, and they are especially delicious during this time. The supermarket is filled with all different kinds; my favorites are gala and mcIntosh. 

giphy.com

5. Get the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. I know you might be rolling your eyes at this last tip, but honestly, I don’t know of anyone who would disagree that pumpkin spice lattes literally taste like fall in a cup. If you’re on a budget, like I am, check out other local coffee shops that are bound to have some variation of the pumpkin spice latte. You’ll never go back to your standard black coffee with cream and sugar after you try the pumpkin spice latte!

giphy.com

So to all my New Englanders missing home during this fall season, try to incorporate some of these tips into your next couple of weeks, and by then it’ll almost feel like the fall from back home! 

Main image source: www.freegreatimages.com