3 Cases Of Identity Fraud In Young Adult Lit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Identity fraud is never fun, but some recent Young Adult releases sure make you think about it for a second. Of course 2/3 of these books are not models to live by once you take into account the adverse health effects of things like deceit and murder. So, I could not recommend a subsection of books more highly. These action-filled novels with various plot reveals, unreliable narrators, and unlikely skills are well worth it.

Here Lies Daniel Tate by Cristin Terrill follows an unreliable, immoral narrator. When a homeless teen needs to get out of the system, he pretends to be the missing child of a millionaire. In the process of becoming a lie he starts to believe himself, he stumbles into a bigger conspiracy than the one he is trying to pull off.

Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart dives into the mind of a girl who can rewrite her own narrative. The book focuses on a girl who is always performing another identity. Whether it is to escape law enforcement or buy her way into a better life, she adopts the accent, hair color, makeup, and clothing of another person entirely. At some point, a story becomes reality and truths are lost in the mix.

No Good Deed by Kara Connolly travels back in time with an Olympic level archer. Using the information she has learned from her mother, the historian, and her brother, a member of the peace core, she survives in medieval England, taking from the rich and giving to the poor. So, she accidentally becomes Robin Hood. 

Image sources: http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2014-10-02-FakeBooks.jpg, google images