Why I’m Obsessed with Stitch Fix and You Should Be, Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Receiving my Fix is basically like Christmas morning once a month. Since starting to receive Fixes per my mom’s recommendation 7 months ago, I’ve become a Fix-addict. If you’re unfamiliar with Stitch Fix, here’s the deal:

Stitch Fix is a personal styling service that sets you up with your own personal stylist (cool, right?) and sends you 5 pieces picked just for you once a month. To get started, you log onto their site, set up a style profile where you get to enter all the need-to-know info about you and your style preferences, and you schedule a date to get your first Fix. From there, your assigned stylist will go through your profile and pick pieces they think you’ll love and voila! You’re on your way to being one happy shopper.

I know what you’re probably thinking – “A personal stylist? Really? Isn’t that kind of pretentious?” Because that’s exactly what I was thinking when I signed up for that first Fix. What college-aged female walks around wearing clothes she gets sent from a personal stylist? Well, me. But it really isn’t what it sounds like.

What I love about Stitch Fix is that it’s a company that’s designed to clothe real men and women (Yes, that’s right, Stitch Fix isn’t just for women!). It wasn’t created to push unrealistic body standards and dysfunctional fashion. Stitch Fix caters to all body types, lifestyles, and budgets.

Blouse, jean jacket, and sandals by Stitch Fix

Your style profile specifically asks you to describe your body type, in detail, so that you’re only sent pieces that meet your criteria. If you’re short, like me, you can ask for petite sizes. If you’re curvy, you can let them know to look for pieces that will flatter your curves. If you’re pregnant, you can even ask for maternity pieces. 

As far as cost goes, you mark on your style profile how much money you would feel comfortable spending on each aspect of your wardrobe. If you want to splurge on shoes, you can let your stylist know. But if you want to spend the least amount of money on jewelry, you can say that too. You can even tell them not to send you certain items ever, like if you don’t ever wear dresses, you can check the box so you never get any in your Fix. 

Stitch Fix wants you to love what you’re sent. I honestly love the fact that they really listen to me. I’m not being sent a bunch of clothing that I could only wear once, or that’s too dressy for my daily life. 

Top, jeans, and shoes by Stitch Fix

Speaking of that, your style profile also asks you to describe your daily life and what you love to wear, so that your stylist can take that into account. My style profile lets my stylist know that I’m a college student who loves functional fashion, so that way she doesn’t send me heels and dresses that are completely impractical. Most of my Fixes are full of comfy sweaters and tops, super soft jeans (Stitch Fix has made jean shopping SO much easier!), and adorable shoes. Actually, their shoe selections are legendary. I’ve yet to receive a pair I haven’t fallen in love with (which is probably an issue, because I am a shoe addict). 

Plus, you can let your stylist know if you’re shopping for a certain occasion. For instance, when I attended Her Conference in NYC over the summer, I let my stylist know that I wanted an outfit for “a college women in journalism conference” and that I wanted to look “both chic and professional” and my stylist totally hooked me up! I ended up with such a cute pencil skirt/blouse/blazer combo that I would have never put together myself.

Blouse and skirt from Stitch Fix

However, know that it is a process for you and your stylist to get to know each other. Make sure to be really specific in your requests, and utilize social media like Pinterest (which you can link in your style profile) to show them what you’re looking for. If you only keep an item or two in your first Fix, don’t be discouraged. It usually takes a Fix or two for your stylist to figure out exactly what you’re looking for. So, be specific and be open-minded. In time, you’ll start receiving Fixes where you keep all five items. It just can take some time.

Anyway, back to the whole everyone-should-try-Stitch-Fix-thing, they’re really great about sending you what you want. So much so that I got a couple of my friends, Corbyn and Shai, totally addicted. They were both hesitant to sign up for their first Fixes because they were worried it would be a waste of money. But once they signed up they were both hooked. Shai used her summer Fixes to stock up on her chic internship wardrobe, while Corbyn let her stylist know to send her casual pieces for her edgy everyday style. 

Shai, Corbyn, and I all have very different styles, but we have all become obsessed with our Stitch Fix subscriptions. We even text in our group chat pictures of our Fixes to get group approval before we buy anything during the 3-day check out window.

Blouse and cardigan by Stitch Fix

Despite how pretentious and extra it sounded at first, Stitch Fix has become my favorite shopping method. It’s ridiculously easy. Plus, if you don’t love what you’re sent, all you need to pay is the $20 styling fee and you can return the rest. If you keep anything from your Fix, they put that $20 fee towards anything you buy. And if you buy all five items, they give you 25% off your whole purchase. Which is awesome. Plus, returns are a piece of cake. They send you a pre-postaged envelope so you just stick the items you want to return in the envelope and then into the mailbox. That’s all. Coming for someone who hates the hassle of returning things, I have to say I’ve never seen an easier return process. 

Although I hate surprises, I’ve come to love the surprise of opening my Stitch Fix box once a month. Since starting Stitch Fix, I’ve come to try a lot of trends I never knew I would love, and I’ve started to really develop my personal sense of style. Looking great isn’t everything, but finding a pair of jeans or a top that’s flattering and that you love really can increase your confidence. Plus, who doesn’t like feeling great in the clothes they wear?

Whether you’re into fashion or not, I would really recommend giving Stitch Fix a try. It’s made shopping a million times easier, plus, who doesn’t love receiving a package every once in a while? It makes it that much better that this one is guaranteed to be filled with cute clothes.  

Kjersten is a senior at Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota. She is pursuing a major in English and one day hopes to work in the exciting world of book publishing. When she's not reading books or taking pictures of them for her blog, she loves watching period dramas (Outlander, Victoria, and Downton Abbey, to name a few), playing with her beagle, Rocky, and listening to Ed Sheeran on repeat. Kjersten serves as Senior Editor for the Gustavus Chapter of Her Campus.