MILCK’s “This is Not the End” Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

If you haven’t heard of MILCK, you’re missing out. This Chinese-American “cathartic-pop” artist, who wrote the popular anthem “Quiet”, just released her first extended play filled with songs every feminist will want to hear. From upbeat “I Don’t Belong to You” to her calming cover of “Ooh Child”, this EP will leave you feeling hopeful and empowered. According to her website, MILCK explains that “When people listen to me, I want them to feel empowered. I want a catharsis. My ideal situation as an artist is to harness my voice so it becomes like the purest form of water. When I sing in a room, I want to wash people and the walls of all the pain and shit they deal with. I come from a family of doctors. Doctors are healers. I want to be a sonic healer.”

So – sit back, take a listen, and prepare to be healed.

Call of the Wild. In the opening song of MILCK’s extended play, “Call of the Wild” offers a soothing expression of natural female instinct. If there are any Imogen Heap fans out there, you will be very appreciative of the first verse of this track – MILCK’s use of a vocoder mimics Imogen Heap’s unique sonic style, bringing a very distinct sound to the EP right off the bat.

I Don’t Belong to You. If you’re looking for a feel-good-female-empowerment-jam to blast with your windows down, this is the song for you. From the strong beat underlying the track to powerful lyrics about female independence, MILCK killed it with this one. An A+ line to listen for: “My freedom was never yours to give to me.”

Quiet. This is the song that started it all. From musical flash mobs at the 2017 Women’s March to a chilling live performance at the 8th annual Women in The World Summit, “Quiet” has become an anthem of resistance for women everywhere, offering comfort, empowerment and solidarity. Whether you’ve experienced sexual abuse, harassment, or any other form of oppression, this song is a must-listen.

Ooh Child. Originally released in 1994 by the Five Stairsteps, MILCK has taken this hopeful ballad and put her own twist on it. This is a great song to listen to if you are looking for a soft pick-me-up, with a repetitive message telling listeners that “things are gonna get easier,” and that “things are gonna get brighter.” If you haven’t already, be sure to check out MILCK’s rendition of this song in P&G’s Olympic #LoveOverBias commercial!

Black Sheep. The first time I heard this song it reminded me of a song you’d hear in the credits of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. The lyrics read like a letter of love and support from one best friend to another during a challenging time. If you’re ever feeling hopeless or alone, just put on your headphones and listen to “Black Sheep” – you’ll feel understood, rejuvenated and ready to keep moving forward.

Undercover. In addition to showing off MILCK’s low vocal range, I think this song’s greatest strength is its lyrics. In a society with so many expectations for how to look and how to act, MILCK uses “Undercover” to encourage her listeners to embrace their uniqueness and love themselves for who they are. As she declares in the third verse, “The world makes me a number / The world wants me to fit / Into pretty little boxes / Well, I’m not doin’ it.”

This is Not the End. MILCK’s vocals on this track have moments that remind me of two other very powerful female artists – Lana Del Rey in the lower range, and Christina Aguilera during some of the higher chest-voice moments. Additionally, with dynamic sound and a lyrical focus on continuing the fight for women’s rights no matter what obstacles get in the way, this final song could not be more fitting for the conclusion of MILCK’s EP.

To learn more about MILCK, visit her website

President of Her Campus at Gustavus Senior Communication Studies 2018 TFA Corp Member Collegiate Fellow HGTV enthusiast