Let’s Talk Periods: Normalizing the Female Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

For some reason, there seems to be a taboo when it comes to women talking about their periods. There is often an uneasy, uncomfortable feeling that comes accompanies any discussion about the female body’s menstrual cycle. This feeling creates a stigma that periods are a dirty or shameful thing that are not to be talked about. This taboo often teaches girls who are just starting to experience their periods that they should be uncomfortable talking about their cycle or asking questions about it, which discourages healthy conversations.

It is also common for people to be undereducated about the menstrual cycle. For example, when a woman becomes moody and experiences mood swings referred to as PMS, many people will equate that with her having her period. As it turns out, PMS actually stands for Premenstrual Syndrome, meaning it takes place before the menstrual cycle begins (approximately 7 to 14 days before a girl even gets her period). Therefore, it is not her period that causes a girl to PMS, but a rise in hormones needed to create the uterine lining that is necessary for ovulation to begin. This correlation of PMS to a girl currently menstruating is easily the biggest myth about the menstrual cycle.

The fact of the matter is, no matter what you may call it, a woman’s period is a wonderful thing. It may be gross, painful, and cause women to have mood swings, but the menstrual cycle is also the means by which the human race is able to procreate. A girl’s period is by no means something for her to be ashamed about and it is something she should be able to talk freely about.

Recently, a company called U by Kotex has created a movement called The Period Projects. The Period Projects slogan is, “It’s time to normalize periods and put an end to stigma”. U by Kotex states, “That’s why we started The Period Projects, a groundbreaking project series inspired and led by real women who share our passion for change and the belief that a period should never stop you”. The Period Projects has led to a large range of smaller projects from a feminine products drive for the homeless to a pop-up period shop (a.k.a. a heaven where women can find everyone they would need for their period, plus fun apparel and swag).

The website also features a large section full of information and advice about the menstrual cycle so every girl can have easy access to the necessary information. The Period Projects by U by Kotex is just one step that is society is taking to normalize the period conversation and it is admirable.

Ladies, our periods may be uncomfortable, cause bloating and cramps, and make our hormones go awry, but they are also amazing, beautiful things. We deserve to be able to talk about them freely without fear of shame or judgment. It’s time we normalized a conversation about the female body, so let’s get out there and start talking!