Intersectionality: Revealing What’s Hidden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Over touring week my roommate and I went to see Hidden Figures, a movie about the untold true story of critical work done by three African-American women for NASA during the United States’ race to space against the Soviet Union. In addition to a well crafted script and authentic performances, I was particularly happy about the stress the film placed on intersectionality within the women’s rights movement.

From Seneca Falls to Miss America protests to last month’s Women’s March on Washington, African American women have not been in the forefront of the movement’s narrative. While our country has made great strides in the past century for the rights of women, the movement has primarily benefited white, middle-class women and, even though the population of beneficiaries has diversified since second wave feminism, black women still struggle to have their voices heard and their stories told.

In order for change to be felt by all women, not just the white middle-class, it is important to look at how other various identities intersect with gender identity. This allows us to recognize and address disparity more easily. For example, it is common knowledge that women were not granted the right to vote until the 19th amendment was passed in 1920. However, by taking a closer look at the intersectionality of gender and race, it becomes clear that 1920 was a celebration for solely white women; due to various discriminatory voting laws, African-American women were not enfranchised until the 1960s.

This is why I appreciated Hidden Figures so much; it focused on the intersection of race and gender rather than the two issues on their own. And, by doing so, I was able to empathize with a marginalized group in a way that I never had before because of our common struggles as women. I highly recommend that everyone see this captivating story which was hidden for so long, a story among the many untold stories of America’s most marginalized groups.

President of Her Campus at Gustavus Senior Communication Studies 2018 TFA Corp Member Collegiate Fellow HGTV enthusiast
Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.