element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Importance of Dating in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

As a member of the Gen Z population, I can safely say that dating is harder now than it seems to have been in the past. Not because of social media preventing interactions like the older generations keep yawning about, but because it seems like my generation has this idea that you have to find the “one” when you’re 18 years old, something I find ridiculous. I am a firm believer that there is nothing wrong with dating around in your youth, and hell, even as an grown adult, to figure out who you’re interesting in and who you’re not.

Sure, there are people from your high school that started dating when they were 16 and are now married with a lovely house and two beautiful children. That actually sounds pretty nice. But, for a lot of us, that’s not exactly how things worked out. So, we’re stuck here thinking that we’re going to be alone forever, just because we’re 19 years old and haven’t found our soulmates yet. Sounds a little crazy, don’t you think?

Now is the time to get to know your peers, which might involve going on dates with a few that catch your eye during lecture. There’s nothing wrong with grabbing coffee- or dinner, or hooking up- with people throughout your years as a college student. To many, college is about exploring and finding yourself- a time to experiment and test the waters in the dating pool. Sure, it’s not for everyone, but those who want to date around should not be shamed for doing so. Casual dating is part of the process of getting to know someone fully before committing to a exclusive relationship. So swipe right, ask that cutie in math out for a drink, and take the dating game by storm! You got this!

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.