Gusties, Have You Tried Studying in These 12 Places?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

There isn’t anything much better than coming back to campus and getting back into the swing of college life. There are so many things that make coming back to GAC great, including football games, parties, and living with your best friends. As much fun as college is, there is no getting around studying, doing homework, and the other 1,000 things you need to do before class on Monday morning.

Did you know that where you choose to study can make all of the difference? As a Gustie, you should try studying in these 12 places and find which is the best fit for you!

1. The Courtyard Cafe

The Courtyard is a great place to study if you want to enjoy a cup of coffee, see some of your friends, and not go far from campus. There are also places to sit both indoors and outdoors. I highly recommend the patio outside because the fountain has such a calming sound!

2. The Lib

This is an obvious choice, but it is probably one of the best places to study. It took me some time to get on board with it, but once I finally tried the comfy chairs and went back into the quiet section, it sold me. Plus, there’s the relaxation room! I must say, this place is a good place to go if you want to buckle down and get work done. It is also open late so you don’t have to worry about packing up and going home in the middle of a study session!

3. The Arb

I don’t think you can really beat studying in the beautiful nature, just saying. Bring a blanket and some snacks and you are set for a great study session.

4. Beck Hall

I have seen so many people studying in Beck! It is always super quiet, and there are many tables and chairs in the atrium which are great to study at. Also, there are little corner rooms that have chairs with desks that are great places to get a quick study session in before heading to class.

5. On the Hill

I never thought about studying on the hill myself, but once I saw people doing it, I thought there were genius. Just like studying in the Arb, bring a blanket and some food, and you’re set! Plus, when the trees bloom in the spring the view is incredible!

6. The Gustie Den 

The Gustie Den in the Campus Center is a great place to get work done for a group project! There are even supplies to use and large tables for meetings.

7. River Rock Coffee

River Rock Coffee is located at 301 S Minnesota Ave, St Peter, MN. It is only about a 10-minute walk from campus or 3-minute drive. The coffee is delicious as are the baked goods. There are also tons of tables so you shouldn’t have to worry about finding a spot to sit!

8. The Diversity Center

The Diversity Center is located in the basement of the Campus Center. Many amazing people hang out there, and there are lots of comfy chairs and couches! It is also a very welcoming and supportive place that accepts everyone and appreciates people for who they are.

9. The Coffee Hag

This one is a bit more of a drive, but it is definitely worth it if you want to get a bunch of work done while enjoying delicious coffee in mason jars! The Coffee Hag is located at 329 N Riverfront Dr, Mankato, MN.

10. In a hammock

Why not hang in a tree in the Arb while reading your book for class? Add some friends to the mix, and I guarantee it will be a good time. ‘Mocking never lets you down!

11. The Fillin’ Station Coffeehouse

This is another great coffee shop. It has a super cute aesthetic and large tables for when you have a lot of work! It is located at 630 S Front St, Mankato, MN.

12. Your room

Sometimes you just can’t beat a good study session in your dorm room. Yeah, there might be a lot of things to distract you, but at least you don’t have to put pants on!

Hey, I'm Corbyn Jenkins! I am a Junior at Gustavus Adolphus College majoring in English & minoring in Film & Media Studies. In my free time I enjoy art, photography, exploring, going to concerts, and spending time with my friends and family.