55 Things That I’ve Learned By My Last Semester of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

I’m now officially going into my second semester of senior year. As to be expected, I’ve learned a lot since coming to Gustavus three and a half years ago–and most of it didn’t stem from my textbooks. These are 55 of the most valuable things I’ve learned since starting my freshman year of college, and hopefully, they’re things you’ll learn to. 

1. 8 a.ms might seem like a good idea when registering for classes. They’re not. Avoid them at all costs.

2. Eyebrow filler is your friend.

3. It’s always a good time for coffee. Especially at 10:55 right before the Courtyard Café closes.

4. The best investment you can make is a parka that covers your butt. You’ll thank you yourself when it’s dark in the morning with a negative wind chill and you have to walk to class.

5. Start exercising—it’s really not as awful as it seems. Except for cardio, cardio will always be awful.

6. Travel now, while you can. You can’t spend four weeks in Europe or a weekend in New York when you have a big kid job and bills to pay.

7. Twinkle lights really warm up a space. Use them.

8. Downy Wrinkle Release Spray is the eighth wonder of the world.

9. Call your mom. Whether she’s 10 or 1,000 miles away, college will make you miss her more than you ever thought you could. 

10. Professors have office hours for a reason—utilize them. And sooner rather than later.

11. Invest in clothes for quality, not quantity. Except for super trendy pieces that’ll be out of season in a month—for those, the cheaper the better.

12. Get comfortable doing things on your own. Eat alone in the caf, go to a movie by yourself, or take yourself on a solo trip to the mall. It doesn’t make you a weirdo to be alone some of the time.

13. Learn how to say “no” to things.

14. Seeing your puppy after days/weeks/months away will never get old.

15. It’s okay to stay in on a weekend to be a vegetable.

16. Do your laundry before you actually need to. There’s nothing worse than running out of underwear and then needing to do a load when you have no time for it.

17. Sometimes a late night Mickey D’s run is exactly what you need.

18. Take care of your body. Sleep when you need it, wash your face every night, and eat your veggies. 

19. There’s so much value in “thank you” notes.

20. Start a savings account and actually use it. You’ll thank yourself later.

21. Go with your dad to that war movie he’s been so excited about or watch a crappy Hallmark show with your mom. Spend time with your parents and appreciate every minute.

22. Embrace failure. It only creates more space for success.

23. Procrastination is inevitable. That being said, as long as you learn how to get stuff done on a time crunch—you’ll be fine.

24. Always do extra credit assignments.

25. Informational interviews are one of the most valuable things you can do for yourself and your future career.

26. Make yourself a priority. You deserve to be happy.

27. Movie soundtracks make for some of the best study music.

28. Be kind to everyone to the best of your ability. Everyone has bad days sometimes; give them the benefit of the doubt.

29. Challenge yourself.

30. If you room with your best friend who happens to be around your size, be prepared for her to wear more of your clothes than you do. 

31. Ask how others are and actually listen to them. Sometimes, it means the world.

32. Everything looks better in the morning with a good night’s sleep.

33. You have to learn to love yourself before you can love someone else the way they deserve to be loved.

34. It’s perfectly okay to not know what you want to do after graduation—most people don’t.

35. The library might depress you, but it really is a great place to be productive.

36. Scotland has to be one of the most beautiful places our world has to offer.

37. A planner is the best way to stay organized (so long as you actually use it).

38. Social media only shows you what others want you to see. I promise, not everyone is having the time of his or her life 100% of the time. Keep it in perspective.

39. Sleep. Seriously. Avoid the infamous all-nighter if you can.

40. Don’t ever be embarrassed about your passions.

41. Being sick in college is the absolute worst. That probably won’t ever change.

42. Not landing an internship does not mean that you’re a failure. Internships can be even more competitive than full-time jobs. Your time will come, you just have to wait a little bit longer.

43. You are not above binge-watching TV shows. It’s not scientifically proven, but in my experience, it’s good for your health.

44. There’s nothing wrong with being basic sometimes.

45. Long distance relationships can work. You just have to be willing to make some sacrifices for it to happen.

46. Reading is good for the soul.

47. Getting a package in the mail at school is the best feeling.

48. Making an outline for a paper will eliminate half of the challenge of writing it.

49. Pick your battles. They’re not all worth fighting.

50. School is important, but it isn’t everything. Don’t let it determine your worth.

51. Getting an extra half hour of sleep is always a great choice. This pairs well with wearing baseball hats.  

52. Your time is valuable.

53. Never underestimate the healing powers of a hot shower.

54. You’ll probably learn even more about yourself in college than you do about your studies.

55. Four years goes way too fast—remember that. Soon enough, you’ll be a semester away from graduation wishing you could do it all over.

Kjersten is a senior at Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota. She is pursuing a major in English and one day hopes to work in the exciting world of book publishing. When she's not reading books or taking pictures of them for her blog, she loves watching period dramas (Outlander, Victoria, and Downton Abbey, to name a few), playing with her beagle, Rocky, and listening to Ed Sheeran on repeat. Kjersten serves as Senior Editor for the Gustavus Chapter of Her Campus.