5 Self-Care Tips for the Over-Involved Gustie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Gustavus students are notorious for being kind, outgoing, and over-involved. We often find ourselves saying “yes” to new things even though we don’t really have the time. Although this spirit provides us with a lot of unique experiences and makes our time here on the Hill fly by, it can also be stressful. So, if you’re an over-involved Gustie who needs to de-stress, here are five tips to help you chill out!

1. Get a cup of coffee from the Courtyard Cafè

Although the line can be crazy long during Chapel Break, you will still be able to get to class on time if you hop in line right away. The Courtyard’s selection of coffees, teas, and other specialty drinks should help you de-stress after a hectic morning and get you through the rest of the day.

2. Squeeze in a workout at Lund Center

Take a study break and head over to Lund Center for a 20-minute run on the treadmill or jump on one of the stationary bikes. Studies show that getting your sweat on helps you become more alert and focused, so finding the time to workout amidst your busy schedule will be worth it!

3. Go for a walk in the Arb

It’s not every school that has a gorgeous arboretum right on campus, so make use of ours! Taking time on a nature walk to reflect on your life will help you refocus after a hectic day.

4. Get a healthy meal from the Caf

Our cafeteria has a wide selection of healthy fruits and vegetables, so try and challenge yourself to eat better! These foods will help feed your brain and make your classes feel a little less draining.

5. Catch a show or watch a game!

With all these over-involved Gusties on campus, you can bet that something will always be going on. When you need to relax, try going to a theatre or dance production or watching a sporting event. Supporting other Gusties who are just as busy as you will make them feel appreciated, as well as make you feel good.

Marie Osuna

Gustavus '21

Always drinking coffee and writing.