12 Decorating Tips to Winterize Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Goodbye beautiful fall, hello freezing winter. The leaves have fallen and are crunching beneath our feet, and there have already been a few snowfalls. 

As college students, the best part about the seasons changing is that you get to redecorate your dorm. It’s time to put away the pumpkins and turkeys and “winterize” that shoebox of a room of yours!

Here are a few simple, cheap, and cute ideas of how to make your dorm room look adorable, feel cozy, and be prepared for this winter.

1. Make a mason jar snow globes

Everyone has a mason jar lying around, so why not make it into a cute decoration to set on your table or desk?

2. Coffee Filter Snowflakes

I am sure you made these in elementary school, but they actually look so cute when you hang them up around your dorm or in your window with string! If you want colorful snowflakes, try coloring them with markers and then spraying with water so the color bleeds throughout.

3. Purchase a Humidifier

Dorm rooms get so dry in the winter. Nothing is worse than waking up with a sore, dry and scratchy throat, so get a humidifier to help prevent it. They aren’t that expensive and they also help prevent dry skin.

4. Cotton Ball Snow Flurry

Thread some cotton balls on a string and hang them from the ceiling. Super simple and so fun looking!

5. Plug in an essential oil diffuser or a wax candle warmer

The smell of your room makes all the difference. Find some cozy/winter smelling essential oils to put in your diffuser or candle wax to melt in your plug in warmer.

6. Popsicle Stick Snowflakes

Another simple craft that makes some cute winter decor. Get a box of popsicle sticks, color or paint them, and cut and glue them together in a fun snowflake formation. Hang them on their own on the wall or attach them to a string and hang from the ceiling.

7. Icicle Lights

I don’t think anything can get more “wintery” than hanging up some white icicle lights in your room. There is just something about the lights that gives off a warm vibe and makes a room instantly feel cozy.

8. Overstock on the pillows and blankets

You can never have too many warm blankets and pillows, especially in the winter.

9. Snowflake Garland

Cut out some small paper snowflakes and hang them on strands of string and hang from the ceiling or wall in your room.

10. Winter Gel Window Clings

You can find these almost anywhere and they are usually pretty cheap and have multiple options. They are a simple way to decorate your windows for everyone to enjoy while walking by.

11. Find a comfy rug

A fuzzy rug won’t only make your room look 10x more cozy, but it will keep your feet warm too!

12. Stock up on the tea and hot chocolate

Can you really ever have enough tea or hot chocolate in the winter?

Hey, I'm Corbyn Jenkins! I am a Junior at Gustavus Adolphus College majoring in English & minoring in Film & Media Studies. In my free time I enjoy art, photography, exploring, going to concerts, and spending time with my friends and family.