11 Things I Learned From Attending Her Conference in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

This summer, I was lucky enough to be able to travel to New York City and attend Her Conference. Throughout the busy two days, I not only learned a lot about journalism, blogging, and social media, but I found myself learning so many life lessons! Here are 11 of them:

1. Stepping out of your comfort zone will create wonderful opportunities.

You never know until you try. Take that risk and start a conversation with somebody you don’t know. You never know the connections you might make, and maybe this person will be a great resource for you in your future job and life.

2. When women come together, they can do ANYTHING.

I have never felt so empowered before. Sitting in a room full of talented, beautiful, and brave women was incredible. Hearing women share their powerful stories was so motivating and really made me feel like I can do anything and be anyone.

3. Having a platform and an event to make your voice heard is the best thing.

I sometimes forget how lucky I am to have a platform like Her Campus to share my thoughts, views, and stories on. I am so thankful to have a place to make my voice heard.

4. I am so thankful for the friends Her Campus has brought me.

As I took on NYC, I realized that I wouldn’t have wanted to be there with anyone else. The three girls I was with made the trip so much more special, and I can’t thank them enough for it. I cannot wait for the many memories that we will make together this upcoming school year!

5. Women are so beautiful.

When I say that EVERY. SINGLE. WOMAN. at this conference was and is beautiful, I am not joking. Inside and out they couldn’t have been any more beautiful.

6. New York City is way harder to navigate than you think.

We only got lost about a million times trying to find where we were going. Good times, good times.

7. Being yourself is the best person you can be.

Throughout the conference, I discovered a theme throughout the speakers, workshops, and discussions. Being yourself is the most important thing. Every speaker is living their life being themselves and doing what they love, and it radiates off of them. That is what I want to do with my life, and it is what I am going to do no matter how challenging it may be.

8. Her Campus really knows what’s up.

This conference hosted by Her Campus was amazing! It was way more than what I expected, and I had the best time. The gift bags, the snacks, the lunches, the speakers–literally everything was perfect.

9. Shake Shack is as good as people talk it up to be.

I never knew what was up with the hype of Shake Shack, but now I do. It is really THAT good. Shout out to Shake Shack for catering our lunch on day 1!

10. Everybody has their own, unique story and being able to hear them is so special.

I hope someday I have a story that will impact somebody’s life like the ones I heard at Her Conference impacted me.

11. I am so proud to be a part of such a great community.

If you aren’t a part of Her Campus, you should be because it will change your life in some way, I promise.

Hey, I'm Corbyn Jenkins! I am a Junior at Gustavus Adolphus College majoring in English & minoring in Film & Media Studies. In my free time I enjoy art, photography, exploring, going to concerts, and spending time with my friends and family.