What Happens After you get Accepted Into Your Exchange Program?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

So, you get accepted into your exchange program… Now what? (Congrats by the way, it is a pretty exciting moment!)

Well first of all, you get to wait patiently on this ever so exciting life event that may or may not be the best experience of your whole life.

Now, I got accepted into a summer exchange program in England and I was so excited I cried (literally, I’m not even joking). But once the idea of the whole experience settled in, I started stressing A LOT… I had 5 pretty major (lol, probably not so major) concerns and I’m pretty sure at least someone can relate… 

1. Am I really ready to travel to another country… all alone?

I have always travelled with someone, and I’ve never gone anywhere for more than a week … I’m a pretty big home-body and I love my mom, so basically not being close to home is a terrifying thought.

2. Am I ready to leave my support system?

Like I said, I love my mom. I call her more than I care to admit… In one day. Do I really think I can live in a different country and thrive all on my own?

3. How do you navigate airports…?

I don’t know about anybody else, but I have never really paid much attention to where I’m going at the airport, I just kind of follow my parents or whoever I’m with until I get to my destination – I’m assuming the analogy ‘fake it till you make it’ will apply greatly to me while travelling alone

4. What is the difference between classes in Canada and (insert exchange destination)

I have never gone to school anywhere but Canada… So obviously one of my major worries is: will the classes be any different, I mean obviously they will be, but harder? Easier? More reading?… What should I expect?

5. How do you pack for an exchange program?

I will be pondering this question until the week before I leave, because seriously how do you manage to pack all your clothes for different types of events? Its nearly impossible…  

After weighing all 5 of my oh-so-severe questions, I realized that its only a 4 week program I’m sure I can manage… Oh and the fact that my mom is going to force me on the plane even if I decide last minute I’m too scared to go, helps right?

Carly is in fifth year at Univeristy of Guelph studying English and Family and Child Studies. Carly has a passion for writing, travelling and family. When Carly isn't writing for Her Campus or studying you can find her playing guitar, with friends or somewhere around the globe! Follow her on Instagram @carlyholmstead 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!