This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Have you heard about essential oils, but aren’t quite sure what they are? Essential oils are becoming more ‘mainstream’ as people are increasingly turning towards alternative options in an effort to create a more natural and chemical-free environment. In doing so, people are steering clear of synthetics, which reduces costs and negative side effects that go along with chemical-filled products.

So you may be wondering, what are they exactly? Essential oils are naturally occurring, volatile aromatic compounds found in plants. They have a wide variety of uses for emotional and physical wellness, which makes them extremely versatile. They are very potent and only one drop per use is needed. They are effective by being able to pass through cell membranes and target a virus, as opposed to masking the symptoms, which make them an extremely valuable tool!

Using one-hundred percent pure essential oils is extremely important, especially for internal and topical use. I love using doTERRA because it is the largest essential oil company, and the only company that provides pure and therapeutic-grade essential oil. In an unregulated industry, they have created their own strict testing standard, labelled ‘Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade.’ This ensures we can put lemon in our water, for example, because it is pure lemon oil with no chemically added fillers.

Another reason why I love doTERRA is their Co-Impact Sourcing. This is how doTERRA sources their oils from over forty countries around the world, ensuring that their oils are purely therapeutic and sourced from where they are grown indigenously. They also work with the farmers directly, cutting out the middle man, ensuring they are paid a fair wage and create thousands of jobs in mainly third world countries.

Now how do you use them? There are three ways to use essential oils: aromatically with a cold-mist diffuser, topically with coconut oil to aid in absorption and internally either in water, a drop in your mouth, or in a veggie cap!

I love using essential oils to help support anxiety, sleeping, studying, and headaches, just to name a few! Some of my favourites are lavender for anxiety and sleeping, peppermint for headaches, and lemon for detoxing!

Are you interested in learning more about essential oils? Contact Lauren Eby on Facebook, follow her on Instagram at @mindbodysoulandoils, or email her at mindbodysoulandoils@gmail.com.

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!