Surviving 101: Long Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Long distance relationships are something that most people dread and decide to not to even attempt. For those who want to try them, they often get discouraged by their peers with horror stories of what can happen. What most people don’t tend to realize is that there are actually many benefits to having one and there are many ways to keep a relationship healthy while being at a distance.

As someone who’s been in a long distance relationship for over 3 years, unlike what others may tell you, it’s really not all that bad! (The only biggest downside I can think of is that you might have to make due with hugging your best friend in times of trouble instead of getting cuddles from your significant other. That’s what makes cuddling so much better after!)

1.Make sure to talk to each other and make time for each other as much as possible. A relationship doesn’t tend to last if both parties don’t work together. Don’t let yourself drift apart from your partner, make sure to catch up with each other as often as possible. The best way is to set some time aside in order to video-chat or to do some sort of activity together at long distance. Talk about little things in order to make the other person feel as if they’re included in your life. Also try to limit as much as possible your heavy/sensitive topic talks until you’re together in person as it’s hard to really see what the other is feeling while you bring up delicate topics.

2.Have fun together at a distance. It’s very easy to still do fun activities “together” while being miles apart. Find something you two want to do together such as a Facetime movie date or have dinner while chatting to your partner. It’s still possible to go on dates while not being face to face! Games online are also another fun option! Make sure to be creative!

3. See each other as often as possible. Sometimes, it is possible to meet up every week, for those who are lucky enough. But if you have quite some distance separating you from your significant other, you won’t be able to see them for weeks, even months. If the opportunity arises to spend time together, make sure to grab it while you can. Despite your busy schedule, make time for them and make them feel wanted.

4. Trust each other. Being in a relationship where you can’t trust one another is not something that’s very plausible whether you’re living close together or far apart. Trust is key as you won’t see each other often and won’t be able to know what your significant other does on a daily basis. Besides, trust is the foundation of any healthy relationship.

5. Count the days before you see each other again. This is one of my favorite things to do and it allows keep me going in tough times where you wish you were together. Looking forward to seeing each other puts a smile on your face and makes the reunion so much more exciting. It’s a way to motivate yourself to just keep swimming.

6. Communication is vital. You won’t be able to tell what your partner is thinking about every day or how they feel unless they let you know. If something is bothering you about the way they’ve acted, let them know. If you feel like you’re not talking enough, it’s something that you should really tell them. They won’t know until you vocalize it and often times it leads to fight that can be avoided entirely if you had just mentioned it to them in the first place.

7. Time apart is not always bad. It gives you time to work on yourself and also stops you from getting too distracted from everyday life. Especially as a student, life is hard enough to manage by trying to balance school, work as well as basic living needs and a social life. Then, when you finally get back together for that long-awaited reunion, you’re not as stressed out with everything as you’ve been able to work and accomplish things on your own. You’re also not just seen as “that couple”. You’re perceived as your own person.

8. It’s the opportunity to make new friends. Not being with someone often allows for more time to make new friends. Grasp that opportunity to make new connections in life. Being apart also makes it so you don’t have to hang out with your significant other’s friends who you might not necessarily like spending time with. 

Emilie Kelly is the University of Guelph's Chapter Co-Correspondent! She is a Phase 1 OVC student who loves to spend her time with horses, cats, dogs, cows; you name it! (That does indeed make her an Aggie!) You can contact her in French, English, or even Japanese. 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!