SiliSponge: First Impressions and is it Worth it?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

For those of you unfamiliar with the SiliSponge, basically it is a new product created to avoid wasting makeup and to have a more hygienic makeup tool. Before buying the SiliSponge I researched it a lot, just to make sure it wasn’t going to be a waste of money. I watched countless Youtube videos and read a ton of online reviews; only to learn that the reviews are extremely mixed. Either people love the product or hate it, there is really no in between, so I had to try it for myself!

Before testing out the SiliSponge …

Here is what I know about the product:

1. It is supposed to be super hygienic and easy to clean
  2. It is supposed to allow you to use less product because it does not soak any of it up
  3. The SiliSponge will give you a flawless finish and awesome coverage

The product retails between 9-12 dollars depending on where you buy it. I bought mine off Amazon.ca for $10.89 plus shipping which was only about $2. The product came in a nice brown bag (super nice for continual storage of the product).

I read on the Molly Cosmetics website, the original creators of the SiliSponge on how to properly go about using the sponge:

1. Place a tiny amount of product on the sponge and rub in circular motions until the product is evenly dispersed on the skin.
  2. Tap repeatedly until the product is blended, you can fold the sponge to allow for a more precise blend.
  3. Repeat as needed

Seems fairly simple!

After using the SiliSponge …

1. I can totally hop on board with the fact that the Silisponge is totally hygienic and definitely is easy to clean! After I used the sponge it took me so little time to clean and it made me feel a lot more confident in less build up on the applicator and less bacteria build up as well.
  2. I definitely used less product, none of it was soaked up on the sponge itself and none of it went to waste. The only downfall of the product itself is makeup will collect around the edges and it does cause some streaks, but they can easy be fixed!
  3. In my experience, the sponge did give me a flawless finish and covered my acne and blemishes better than any brush or beauty blender has in the past. I did however have to go in with a beauty blender after to fix the smaller areas like under my eyes and around my nose as they were a little harder to reach with the sponge!

Overall, I will definitely be adding this tool to my daily makeup routine! I would continue using it just for the cleanliness of the product itself, like myself, if you struggle with acne this might be the perfect fix – no bacteria build which means you wont be breaking out because of bacteria on brushes or beauty blenders! I also loved how smooth the product went on to my skin; it applied so easily and blended so well, while using this tool! I mean, I won’t be throwing away my beauty blender because I think using both tools will be more effective but it definitely is worth the price and does what it says, in my opinion!

Carly is in fifth year at Univeristy of Guelph studying English and Family and Child Studies. Carly has a passion for writing, travelling and family. When Carly isn't writing for Her Campus or studying you can find her playing guitar, with friends or somewhere around the globe! Follow her on Instagram @carlyholmstead 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!