woman taking pictures near handrail
woman taking pictures near handrail
Tamara Bellis/Unsplash

I Deleted All Social Media Apps For A Day And This Is What Happened…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Growing up in the 21st Century has been a blessing and a curse. I grew up with very different opportunities than my parents. I was blessed with Google at my fingertips, Facebook to connect with friends and family, Instagram and Snapchat. I was given my first ‘smartphone’ at the age of 15. During the most impactful years of my life, I had access to constant ridicule and judgment. Twitter was the first means of communication for me while I was in high school. If you wanted to be caught up on the latest gossip, Twitter was where you would find it. When I was 17 I had turned in my Blackberry for the newest IPhone. Meaning that I now had access to Snapchat and Instagram, which were not accessible on my Blackberry.

Since the age of 17 I have been sharing my life and following everyone else’s more than I have been trying to maintain meaningful relationships in the ‘real world’. Social media has consumed my existence in this growing technological world. I have been on the receiving end of my life being shared by others on their Instagram accounts. I have been on the receiving end of online bullying. No matter how old I get, it will never feel good.

I have gotten to a point in my life where technology and my cell phone have become more of a curse in my life than a blessing. So I decided to delete my social apps for a day, just to see what happens.

I deleted them on Sunday night right before I went to bed. I can honestly say that my sleep on Sunday was better than any other nights sleep in a while. I didn’t feel the need to check my phone in the middle of the night when I couldn’t sleep. I didn’t care who had tagged me in memes late at night and I didn’t care who had liked my Instagram picture that I had posted earlier in the day. I had completely shut down and slept through the entire night because I was never subconsciously thinking about what my apps were doing while I was sleeping.

Fast forward to Monday morning. I woke up and instead of lying in bed for 20 minutes watching Snapchat stories and scrolling through Instagram and Facebook, I got up. I didn’t even check my phone until I had gotten in my car to play music.

I didn’t have a very busy day on Monday and usually I spend most of my day scrolling through apps just to pass the time. I had 2 classes and I went to the gym. In both of my classes I had my phone on silent and it was packed away in my backpack. I took a lot more from both of my lectures when I was disconnected from the cyber world. I had my phone on me when I was at the gym but that was strictly to play music!

In the time that I would normally waste scrolling through my apps, I spent my time catching up on readings that I had fallen behind on. I put my nose in a book instead of in my phone. It was extremely refreshing.

I ended my day finishing my readings and preparing for Tuesday. I was way more productive on Monday than I have been in a while. I took the time to sit down with professors in their office hours to pass the time, instead of waiting outside my lecture hall with my nose in my phone. I fell asleep 2 hours earlier than I usually do and slept way better than normal. I didn’t spend time in bed looking at my phone, instead I read until I was tired and fell asleep.

I deleted my apps because I needed a break. I needed to disconnect and shut off from the world. It was the best decision I have ever made.

I did end up re-downloading the apps Tuesday morning but since I have deleted the apps and realized how much I enjoyed it, I have been restricting my time on the apps.

I strongly encourage everyone to delete the apps. Try it just for a day and see how you feel. You might realize that you want to delete them all together. Or you might just appreciate the detox.

I will be deleting all of my apps from now on every Sunday night until Tuesday morning. Just once a week to detox from something that has consumed my life since I was 15. 

Carly is in fifth year at Univeristy of Guelph studying English and Family and Child Studies. Carly has a passion for writing, travelling and family. When Carly isn't writing for Her Campus or studying you can find her playing guitar, with friends or somewhere around the globe! Follow her on Instagram @carlyholmstead 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!