nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Succeed as a ‘Twenty Something’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Throughout life you’re always asked ‘so what do you want to be when you grow up?’

I, like a lot of others my age, have never been able to answer that question. I’ve had ideas, and I’ve always thought about what I would enjoy, but I have never been able to give a definite answer. I have had many part time jobs in multiple different fields and I have had a lot of opportunities to explore my interests but I have never come out of them knowing exactly what I wanted to do.

That’s a stress that I think most 20-something’s feel. You are expected to choose your major, choose all your interests and tailor your degree to exactly what you want to do once you graduate and it is nearly impossible.

I have watched my dad change his career so many times throughout his life and I have watched his failures and his success and throughout all of this, I have learned that no matter what you do as long as you put 110% of your effort in you can succeed.

I’ve had many heart to heart’s with my dad because he is such a smart man and I value his opinion so much – one thing he said that will stick with me forever is ‘trying to choose a career is like having a tool box full of tools and not knowing what to build’. It doesn’t matter what you do, how many times you fail or how many times you change your mind because each pitfall and each experience you have builds tools for your tool box.

Throughout your entire life, you gain all of these tools that will allow you to succeed in whatever you decide to do. I’ve learned not to tailor my life to one specific thing but rather take time to accept as many opportunities that are presented, that way I build tools. Tools I can carry over to whatever I want. Things like determination, drive, ambition, leadership, understanding and commitment.

Our generation should be working on building our toolbox so when the right opportunity comes around we have all the possible tools we could need to succeed – instead of trying to build a career right away with only half the tools needed. It is so important to properly develop skills that can be carried on to different career paths, that way no matter what life throws at you, you’ll be able to handle it. 

Carly is in fifth year at Univeristy of Guelph studying English and Family and Child Studies. Carly has a passion for writing, travelling and family. When Carly isn't writing for Her Campus or studying you can find her playing guitar, with friends or somewhere around the globe! Follow her on Instagram @carlyholmstead 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!