absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Four tips for figuring out who to vote for

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

With the Ontario provincial election on June 7th fast-approaching, figuring out which political party to support can be a tough decision. Sifting through news reports, debates, attack ads and heated speculation at family gatherings can make this decision especially difficult for young first-time voters. But reading through these four tips may make figuring out who to vote for a little easier during Ontario’s upcoming provincial election. 

1. Attend all-candidates meetings for your local community

The importance of attending all-candidates meetings cannot be understated. Candidates may appear a certain way on television or online. But seeing them speak a few feet in front of you, or perhaps even meeting them in person, can really help you figure out who you would like to be your representative at Queen’s Park. Attending these meetings is also beneficial because they provide candidates with a chance to share their views on local issues, as well as propose solutions to the specific dilemmas that impact your community.

2. Read news reports about all the candidates and political parties 

Another fantastic way to figure out who exactly you should vote for is to read news reports about all the candidates hoping to represent your area, as well as the political parties they represent. The Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail and the National Post are three major news organizations with deep roots in Ontario that provide extensive coverage on the election and each party’s electoral platform. Reading a variety of news reports on candidates and political parties may aid with obtaining a thorough comprehension of certain issues, as well as how each party proposes to approach them.

3. Research the candidates themselves 

Researching the individual candidates who are vying to represent your community is also essential for deciding who to vote for. The leader of each major political party in Ontario, Kathleen Wynne, Andrea Horwath or Doug Ford, prominently represents their political party. But knowing more about the educational backgrounds, careers, platforms and concerns of those candidates who are attempting to represent your region can also be helpful. 

4. Watch or read about televised leadership debates

Watching or reading about televised leadership debates is also a great way to be an engaged and informed voter during this election. CityNews hosted the first televised debate for this election on May 7th, which focused on issues that are especially of interest to Toronto and Greater Toronto Area residents (source). There was another televised leadership debate hosted in Parry Sound on May 11th that was centred around issues of interest to residents of northern Ontario (source). However, watching the debate scheduled to be televised on May 27th may also help you decide who to politically support during this election (source). Good luck!

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!