This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Any student that attends the University of Guelph knows exactly how special it truly it is, as it is a place where you can make memories that will last a lifetime! This weekend I got to sit with my Grandmother, Cathy Saul, to ask her about her experience at the Univeristy of Guelph and to get some wisdom for students that are currently attending Guelph, here is what she said:

What did you go to the University of Guelph for?

In my grade 13 year, I knew I wanted to work with children, and I wanted a degree. U of G was the ONLY university in Ontario with a Child Studies degree!

What was your experience on campus?

I lived in both South and East residences. I used the library often, and I swam at the athletic building almost every day. Campus took awe days to understand, but it was beautiful and felt like home. I walked a lot! We had classes all over, but it was always welcoming and safe. It felt like home those 4 years!

What did you do after graduation?

I worked with adolescents who needed in patient (residential) care for emotional/psychological issues. We supported them at school on the day shift and did lots of recreational activities and life skills work (cooking, laundry) on the evening shift. When my kids were small I worked with preschoolers with autism and other disorders through home visits. I’ve done that kind of job most of my career in a few different places. I went on to be a supervisor of staff who do that work, and now I manage a program with 50 staff, 3 offices and 2500 children and families.

What is a valuable lesson that you learnt while attending the University of Guelph?

To think for myself and pursue my passion. I was introduced to the autism field in my first year..and that was more than 40 years ago. I also learned to be a leader, and I use those skills every day.

Do you have any advice for students attending the University of Guelph?

Learn everything you can! Talk to your professors, and get to know what they are excited about! Dig very deep into a few research topics…take wide ranging electives and maybe you will discover something that surprises and excites you.

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!