7 Ways to Stick to Your 2017 Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

The start of a new year can be a great time to implement some lifestyle changes, but many people fall into the trap of not knowing how to actually commit to making these dreams into reality. However, these are some strategies that can help you to stick to your resolutions and break out of some of your old bad habits.  

1. Make a List: Write down every goal you’ve set for yourself this year and keep it everywhere. Have a copy on your fridge, bathroom mirror, planner and bulletin board. Not only will the act of physically writing down each of your resolutions help you to truly commit to them, but seeing them everywhere will keep your motivation alive!

2. Create Mini Resolutions: Break down some of your more daunting resolutions into small steps. You can gradually build on these steps as the year goes on to eventually accomplish your goal. This system prevents burnout and can help to make big lifestyle changes seem manageable.

3. Treat Yourself: It’s important to recognize and celebrate the times when you deserve a reward! You can even give yourself a small treat for every step you complete as you build up to accomplish your goal. Make sure that your reward doesn’t clash with whatever your goal is, you don’t want your hard work to go to waste. For example, Don’t reward your weight loss with a slice of cake, try rewarding yourself with new workout clothes instead! 

4. Make it Measurable: Your resolutions should be specific enough that you’re able to measure and track your progress. It’s actually easier and more satisfying to accomplish a goal when there are parameters around when it’s labelled as “completed.”

5. Use Social Media: Share your resolutions on your social media accounts so you feel pressured to actually stick to them. Your friends will hold you accountable so there’s less of a chance that you’ll flake on your goals. You can even post periodic check-ins on the status of your resolutions (go nuts with those gym selfies!).

6. Get Back on the Horse: Be prepared to fall off the wagon once or twice (or thrice!) You’re only human and old habits die hard. Try not to go into your resolutions with an “all or nothing” attitude and understand that even small amounts of progress is still progress.

7. Stagger Your Resolutions: Trying to change every aspect of your life all at once can be overwhelming, so try to stagger your resolutions throughout the year. Focus on a couple of resolutions now, and in a few months once you’ve really got a hang of them, start on a couple more. By the time December rolls around, you’ll have accomplished more than you think!

Now get out there and make 2017 the year that you achieve your goals!

Jasleen is a Biological Sciences student at the University of Guelph. When she's not busy studying (read: procrastinating) in the library, you can find her doing some kind of volunteer work in her community. In her downtime, she enjoys watching superhero shows, Disney movies, and documentaries narrated by Morgan Freeman. She is passionate about health care and hopes to pursue a career in medicine.   ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀   ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀   ⠀⠀  ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀   If you want to know more about Jasleen, follow her on instagram - @missjasleen
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!