Trump is our President: This is Real

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Here’s a recap, you know, in case you thought this was a bad dream you would soon wake up from.

Trump is now the 45th President of the United States. Bet you wish you didn’t write in Harambe now.

Yes, this is going to take some time to accept but just so we’re all on the same page, the notorious tycoon is now our president. There is no easy way to swallow this, but it must be done with a grain of salt and without malice or bitterness. We can take to the streets in protest of history that is already being written, regardless of how hurt out feelings are, but the truth of it is, we need to be the change we want to see. If anything, this is an opportunity to come together and unite as Americans to improve quality of man and country.

Before we continue onto the purpose of this article, which is to highlight some of the issues we should be expecting of his presidency, let’s start by highlighting some of Trump’s previous ventures.

Property mogul, business magnate, author, reality TV star, former beauty pageant owner and Twitter enthusiast. Mr. Trump has never held a political office, but been the head of a global brand that includes hotels, casinos, golf courses, beauty pageants, luxury apartments and Trump-based merchandising.

He began the race with unfiltered remarks about immigrants, women and Muslims. His combative style didn’t make him very popular within the Republican Party. Yet his brand of unapologetic confrontation and lack of political “baggage”, has won him the presidency.

So with that said, let’s take a look at his positions on issues:

Budgeting & Spending: End government corruption and rein in wasteful spending to reduce deficits on a long term path to balance, and create high-paying jobs to bring growth to our stagnant economy.

Civil Liberties: Scrutinize social media of those seeking to enter the U.S., and limit the ability of ISIS to use the internet to spread terrorism.

Crime & Safety: Get serious about prosecuting violent criminals. Get gang members and drug dealers off the street to make our cities and communities safer. Progress against criminal activity is being reversed by this administration’s rollback of criminal enforcement and first responders to keep our communities safe.

Economy & Jobs: Stop China from stealing American jobs, renegotiate NAFTA, cut unneeded regulations and make the U.S. the best place in the world to do business. Reform the tax code and trade policies to make it easier to hire, invest, build, grow, produce, and manufacture in the U.S.

Education: Make it easier for families to afford college so students aren’t buried in debt. Enhance the education options for students through school choice and charters, and respect homeschoolers in their quest for educational alternatives.

Energy:  America first energy will use clean coal, shale and other energy sources to benefit families and workers not just the politically-connected. Support coal jobs, safe fracking, energy from offshore and public lands, and the Keystone Pipeline, which can be done responsibly.

Environment: Protect natural areas, but in a balanced way. End Obama Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) authorizations that cost too many jobs, are opposed by most states, and too often have negligible benefit for the environment. In case you didn’t already know, the EPA is a U.S. federal agency whose mission is to protect human and environmental health. He claims clean air and drinking water regardless of race or income. Water infrastructure will be a big priority.

Foreign Policy: America will stand with its allies and end the Obama-Clinton practice of apologizing to our enemies. End the nuclear deal with Iran and the ransom payments destroying radical Islamic terrorist groups.

Health Care: America needs a patient-centered health care system, allowing families and their doctors to be primary decision makers. Provide for the sale of health insurance across state lines. Obamacare will be repealed due to failed quality and cost of healthcare.

Immigration: Prioritize the interests of Americans first and send criminal aliens home. Welcome those who embrace our way of life, but keep out immigrants and refugees who don’t go through rigorous vetting. Enforce immigration laws at the border and at the workplace. Build a border wall and end the sanctuary.

National Security: We must rebuild the U.S. military, reform our intelligence agencies, and prepare our government for the security challenges of cyberspace.

Second Amendment: Support the Second Amendment in the right to keep and bear arms. Empower law-abiding gun owners to defend themselves and expand mental health programs to keep the violent mentally ill off of the streets.

Taxes: Reduce taxes across-the-board, especially for working and middle-income Americans. Add above-the-line deduction for childcare costs, including for stay-at-home parents. Help working families and cut taxes for all Americans.

In the words of George Washington, it is not exactly in accordance to “Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivating peace and harmony with all.” Nonetheless, we as millennials, the future of the country, need to stay strong and open-minded.

The best way to understand things is to get informed. There’s more information on his stances on his website so go learn more www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/. We will give him a chance to lead, however, we as Americans cannot get left behind on promises we need to hold him accountable for.

All and all, it’s important to let love win this time, bring peace to our streets and improve our communities. And remember that, “Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.” – Albert Einstein

To understand more: 

Watch Obama-Trump Video: www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/10/donald-trump-due-to-meet-president-obama-as-backlash-begins-with/

What Happened on Election Day (by New York Times): www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/opinion/election-night-2016

11 Questions for President-elect Donald Trump: www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-11-questions-231151

Dominique Regalado is a multimedia Journalism major at Georgia State University. When she is not running around campus, she is drowning herself in coffee or editing for Her Campus. Dominique enjoys reading, going out for food, and much more while spending all her money on retail. She aspires to be a journalist for a major magazine publication. Follow her on Twitter: @domregalado!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus