etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 3 Spring Break Destinations and their STI/STD rates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

In the upcoming weeks, most college students will pack their bags to head to a destination where they plan to enjoy themselves fully to all extents. Some students will opt for a vodka induced inebriation, others will reach for other supplements. Even more predominantly, students embark on a spring break adventure with the expectation that sex will be involved.

On your school campus, you are probably well aware of your STI, STD, and transmission rates; however, have you pondered on the statistics of your spring break destination site? Whether you have your eyes set on the locals or the cutie from your Spring Break cartel, learning about the STI/STD rates will allow you to better prepare yourself. This article provides statistical data of the STI/STD rates on the top 3 Spring Break destinations.

1. Panama City Beach

Panama City Beach, a party town located in the Bay County in Florida. PCB is one of the most popular spring break destinations for college students. In four years, most students visit at least once; almost like it’s a right of passage for college. Also, for the year 2010, the Florida Health Department reported 731 cases of Chlamydia and 114 cases of Gonorrhea (Florida Health Deparment).

2. Las Vegas

From the roulette table to the slot machines, Las Vegas is a city that’s all about taking risks. However, some risks must be very calculated. In 2011, Nevada ranked 20th in the Nation among 50 States with an estimated 398 new HIV cases. (CDC). Health Center of Nevada reports that 36.2% of Chlamydia cases are due to college age students, 20-24 years old (CDC).

3. Cancun

Some college students prefer to leave the country and venture to other areas. Cancun is home to Spring Break party goers each year. In 2011, 180,000 people lived in Mexico with HIV/AIDs and 4,900 died from AIDS. In a city where prostitution is prevalent, it is not uncommon to see an increase in STI/STD transmission rates.  (CDC)

As you depart for your well needed vacations, keep in mind of potential risks associated with hooking up during Spring Break, and always practice safety. Visit http://www.cdc.gov/family/springbreak/ for additional information on Spring Break Health and Safety Tips.

Marie Paul Pierre is a Senior at Georgia State University studying biology. Marie's interest include science, studying the human body and painting. In her free time she enjoys reading scientific journals.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus